cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
loopylu
Former Member
Message 1 of 12

UNABLE TO DOWNLOAD DOCUMENTS

I have had this problem for about 6 months now, and can't work out a solution.  I cannot download any documents or files whatsoever, it just comes up with file deleted.  I don't know where its coming from, whether its the IE or Mcafee. Can anyone help before I throw my laptop out of the window .

Thanks.

11 Replies
selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 12

Re: UNABLE TO DOWNLOAD DOCUMENTS

Hi loopylu,

This seems to be a conflict with Windows Defender. Try the below steps and see if it helps..!

Goto C:/Program files and rename Windows Defender folder to Windows DefenderOLD

Goto C:/Program files (x86) and rename Windows Defender folder to Windows DefenderOLD

Retry download and check if it is Successful...!

loopylu
Former Member
Message 3 of 12

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply, Ive just tried and all I got back was ' Cannot access specified device....not appropriate permission to access '.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 12

What operating system and service pack (if applicable) is this and are you logged as a user with Administrative authority or as a Standard user?  Have you tried other browsers?   Are there any other strange problems manifesting themselves?

loopylu
Former Member
Message 5 of 12

Hi,

I have windows 7 and I am the only user as its my laptop.  I have tried Chrome but the still couldn't download the particular document I needed to because it was telling me Microsoft office wasn't installed, which is a mystery because it was something already installed on my laptop when I purchased it (as new).  I used to be able to use Firefox when I could not do things on IE, but I can't even open Firefox anymore.  I'm not very good when it comes to IT, so I haven't a clue what it could be.  I only remember renewing my Mcafee security last summer, and seems to be from around that time things started going wrong.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 12

Windows 7...without SP1?  Can you right-click Computer on your desktop or in the Start Menu and go to Properties - it should spell out if you have Service Pack 1 or not there.  Also what version of IE is installed?  Open it and click Help/About and post that information please.

You still also haven't answered the question as to what kind of User Account you are logged in as.  This may help:  http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/103538-user-account-type-change.html

loopylu
Former Member
Message 7 of 12

Hi again,

Yes it does say Service pack 1, and yes I am the administrator, there's only me that uses my laptop. My IE is on  IE 10 at the moment. 

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 12

Good, you'd probably be better off with IE11 but that's beside the point.  Try another browser and leave it at default settings to see if downloads can occur.

loopylu
Former Member
Message 9 of 12

Update,

I managed to do the part of the Ist step suggested here.  However, I couldn't do the 2nd part, OS (C:) program files (x86), as this was 'grey'.  After that I tried again to download a document .  It worked to a certain point, but then I had another problem with Microsoft office not working on my laptop.  Anyway, I looked into that seperate problem ( late last night ) and bingo, I've managed to open up the document(s).

So big big thank you for your help and patients, and guiding me through everything.  Thank god for people like you !.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 10 of 12

Hi loopylu

You are most Welcome. Am glad that it worked for you...!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community