cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pjcal
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

Trojan Detected - Can't complete Backup

Using McAfee Internet Security Suite v11.6, Win7 64Bit & Windows B/U.

About 1/2 way thru b/u get message that the trojan is in a shared folder & can't be removed. It does NOT show up when drive scanned.

Detected Artemis!35522713A9DE (Trojan)

Quarantined from \Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy32\Users\***\Downloads\setup (1).exe  (Which BTW, was downloaded late last year & I have since deleted).

I know how to change read only in Users\***\Downloads folder but have no idea how to find ShadowCopy32! A scan of my portable harddrive does not show the trojan nor can I find "ShadowCopy32." In the meantime I am unable to complete a backup as this error keeps occuring..

All ideas appreciated.

7 Replies
karthiks
Former Member
Message 2 of 8

Re: Trojan Detected - Can't complete Backup

Pjcal,

Make sure all the files & folders are hidden How to enable hidden files & folders

Open McAfee Console and click on Navigation

Go to Security History and also go to quarantined items to confirm the location of the detected file

Go to the location and check the detected file, if present delete it manually

Perform a Quick Clean in McAfee and then run a McAfee Quick Scan to check the issue status

pjcal
Former Member
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for quick response but --

I do not have a problem accessing the quaranteed section of McAfee and could easily delete the problem file BUT I still do not know where "Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy32\Users\***\Downloads\setup (1).exe" can be found, a search has not located this. As mentioned above, I know how to access the "users" etc & already deleted the offending file. This did not solve the problem.

So I still can't b/u my computer.

karthiks
Former Member
Message 4 of 8

Suggested solution 1:

Add the detected file in the McAfee scan exclusion list

Restart the computer

Check you are getting the error

Suggested solution 2:

Open Run box and type services.msc and click on OK

In the Services windows check for volume shadow copy then check it is started and automatic

If not, then make it start and automatic

Restart the PC

Check with the issue

Suggested solution 3:

Perform a Clean Boot by following the steps given in the below Microsoft link

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135 

check with the issue

pjcal
Former Member
Message 5 of 8

Still no joy.

Suggested Solution1: I could not exclude the file as this only exists in the shadow copy; I deleted the file when this error originally occurred.

Suggested Solution 2: Indeed the shadow copy was set to manual; I changed this to automatic & it was already set to start. Restarted pc, ran backup & got same error message.

Suggested Solution 3: I did a clean boot, tried backup & got a different error message:

"Windows Backup failed while trying to read from the shadow copy on one of the volumes being backed up. Please check in the event logs for any relevant errors."

I am really frustrated but do appreciate your assistance.

karthiks
Former Member
Message 6 of 8

Pjcal,

I have searched through the windows forums & Microsoft forums and found the below links. It has many workarounds to try on.

HERE

&

HERE

pjcal
Former Member
Message 7 of 8

Thanks for the links. I read through & tried several ideas finally giving up & suspending file scanning during backup. That worked & I completed a backup. In the meantime I have purchased an imaging product & plan to install & use it this evening.

karthiks
Former Member
Message 8 of 8

Pjcal,

Thanks for the information !! kindly post back if any issues

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community