cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bobcat
Former Member
Message 131 of 140

Re: Total Protection v11.6 Conflict with Blue Iris and Crashes PC

McAfee downloaded Security Center this morning, although the version number is unchanged at 11.6.435.  This update(?) did NOT fix the problem.  Virusscan is version 15.6.231.

Bobcat
Former Member
Message 132 of 140

OK, just to recap, it's now 13 weeks since the problem was discovered and 5 weeks since McAfee supposedly developed a fix.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 133 of 140

I will prod them on our conference call again.

Bobcat
Former Member
Message 134 of 140

Thanks for your help and for putting up with our frustrations.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 135 of 140

The fix is def. due in the next core release but my contact can't find out exactly when that will be, he will however follow it up and let me know as soon as there is news.

Bobcat
Former Member
Message 136 of 140

OK, thanks.  I was without power all week (out for 5 days, 18 hours), so I couldn't reply earlier.  I see that the McAfee versions are still 11.6.435 and 15.6.231, so the problem has not been fixed.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 137 of 140

That's too bad re: the power, I know what it's like haviing been without power for several days once here during that great Eastern USA/Canada black out a few years ago.

I don't think the fix has yet gone out.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 04/11/12 4:32:58 EST PM
lotty
Contributor
Message 138 of 140

All

I have long ago had to remove McAfee on 1 of my 3 PCs as it crashes with McAfee running after just 2 hours. For the past 3 months I have dealt with this as a special case since this was a PC dedicated to running a constant video recording with writes to my NAS. But now this bug has encroached so much on my other PCs that I have had to shift to another antivirus. I did some research and am running a test with the Comodo product. I will all of you the best of luck.

lotty
Contributor
Message 139 of 140

After struggling with this memory leak on my main PC for more than 3 months I finally gave up last week and started looking at alternatives. I intend to try several of the antivirus / firewall alternatives via free trials but the first that I am still evaluating is Comodo.

So far the Comodo software has been a very pleasant surprise related to how much better my PC performs and has eliminated the need to reboot every 6 hours or so. I am trying to maximize uptime so I can watch the stability of the memory usage . So far I have had several 3 full day stretches without a reboot and the memory has stayed very stable at 3-4 GB of InUse non paged memory ( less than 50% of the PCs max).

My PC appears to have reverted back to its normal baseline before McAfee released the build with this memory leak (end of July). Further the overall performance of the PC has really improved including reduced boot times.. I think the McAfee memory leak was triggering other negative behavior with my display drivers etc. Since the switch I have not had any of those issues. Its almost like a new PC.

Good luck to all of the users that are sticking with McAfee.

lotty
Contributor
Message 140 of 140

Based on feedback in the forum, earlier today I did a clean install from the McAfee website of version SC 12.1.253 and AV 16.1.140 on my PC most sensitive to this memory leak. After running 2 hours the memory has been completely stable at 2GB (25% of max ram available). The prior build at the same clock time would have occupied 6+GB and nearing a crash of the PC.

Tentative conclusion is the new version appears to have addressed this bug and my PC has reverted back to a stable baseline operations present prior to the introduction of this bug back in July of 2012.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community