cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 111 of 140

Re: Total Protection v11.6 Conflict with Blue Iris and Crashes PC

@spectrex put enough network traffic through the a PC running McAfee and you should most likely see a increase in non pooled memory usage. After 11 days WITHOUT runing McAfee I'm at 294 MB non paged memory usage. I would hit a few gigabytes in just minutes with McAfee installed.

Blue Iris and NAS neither have a direct relationship with the issue. It's the network traffic Blue Iris causes in your setup that triggers the issue here. I'm seeing the same issue on my PC's with whatever  network traffic I put between any 2 device with one running McAfee. Be it Windows network shares, iperf network bandwidth test or anything else.

My thread: https://community.mcafee.com/thread/48661?start=0&tstart=0

TL:DR:

In this or my thread there's a post (https://community.mcafee.com/message/259435#259435) with a quote from a McAfee engineer confirming what the root cause of the issue is and it's pending a fix.

Message was edited by: fragged on 10/22/12 3:45:33 AM CDT
Bobcat
Former Member
Message 112 of 140

With 16 GB of RAM, Windows will use 12 GB for the non-paged pool, so it will take you a long time to experience a failure.  Look at your non-paged pool size and see if it increases over time.

I don't have an NAS, and I see the problem just with normal internet downloading.  When I download at 20 Mbps, the non-paged pool increases at about 20 MB/minute.

Ex_Brit, can we ask about this on the conference call today?

lotty
Contributor
Message 113 of 140

I completely agree with fragged that this is NOT isolated to Blue Iris. The problem hits me on my other PCs when I ramp up my network traffic.

I do agree the problem is generic network traffic. Reason Blue Iris is even in the title is I posted this before I fully understood the more generic presential and before  McAfee acknowledged the problem.

Using software such as Blue Iris to constantly process video in real time on a PC running McAfee and then saving the results to a NAS does trigger this problem.  But as fragged indicates the problem can be trigger in many more scenarios.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 114 of 140

Bobcat wrote:

With 16 GB of RAM, Windows will use 12 GB for the non-paged pool, so it will take you a long time to experience a failure.  Look at your non-paged pool size and see if it increases over time.

I don't have an NAS, and I see the problem just with normal internet downloading.  When I download at 20 Mbps, the non-paged pool increases at about 20 MB/minute.

Ex_Brit, can we ask about this on the conference call today?

Gladly, however, I'm afraid I'm a bit lost on this issue, Can you give me a  2-or-so  liner of what I should be asking exactly?

Bobcat
Former Member
Message 115 of 140

When will McAfee release the fix announced weeks ago?  See your post https://community.mcafee.com/message/259435#259435

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 116 of 140

Thanks for the reminder, it's very early here and I only have one eye open really, sorry about that.   I will compose a suitable missive for the agenda and let you know the outcome.

Edit:  I've added a somewhat weighty item to our call agenda.   The call is between 1600 and 1700 Eastern Time today.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 22/10/12 8:21:49 EDT AM
delrepub
Former Member
Message 117 of 140

While I no longer have a horse in this race, I have been keeping up with your saga.

I have basically the same system as spectrex, and I was dumping every 3 days or so.

It is not an NAS issue.

It's i/o triggered. I run BI (one wireless ip cam), but all recording activity to my hard drive. I also run a weather station software which is heavy i/o, all to my hard drive (not internet based activity). Enough activity to cause me to dump every 3rd day or so once the McAfee build hit ~July, that has the leak.

Since I switched to an alternative solution, my memory has been stable and happy (to be honest, my system performs noticebly faster, and memory is rock solid).

Guy's, you need to hit McAfee with a demand for refund and move on. There are some great products out there that outperform Mc and at lower cost and your system stays happy.

Regards,

Del

beheer
Former Member
Message 118 of 140

To my opinion too, it is a network related issue.

At our company we have this nonpaged-pool memory leak problem on all Windows 7 SP1 systems.

We use a Linux server as fileserver. Some PC's are just used for Office stuff, while others use CAD programs.

Nothing special.

The Office PC's however fill up their memory a lot sooner (about 5 to 6 working days).

They have 4GB internally and only a 2 core CPU.

I am sure all (or a lot) of Windows7 PC's have this problem. Only most people probably reboot them before the nonpaged-limit is reached.

It really is about time we are being taken seriously by McAfee.

I hope we get some answers through Ex_Brit.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 119 of 140

The fix for this was supposed to be released on Friday, but because they had to rush the special build related to the intro of Windows 8  it's been delayed (in Win 8 that issue doesn't exist as it's an exclusive Win 7 SP1 issue and happens because the software 'follows' what Windows is doing...i.e memory. leaking like a sieve) it had to be delayed, date unknown at present.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 22/10/12 4:36:41 EDT PM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 120 of 140

One of the techs has suggested increasing page file size, but this should be done under supervision (Tech Support) unless you really know what you are doing.   That should greatly help this issue.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community