Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
moldyjacket
Former Member
Message 1 of 73

The McAfee Boot Delay Start Service service hung on starting. Event ID: 7022

Jump to solution

Service name mcbootdelaystartsvc (executable path "C:\ProgramFiles\Common Files\McAfee\Platform\McSvcHost\McSvHost.exe" /McCoreSvc) remains hung in Starting state and can’t be stopped or restarted. Start type is Automatic and runs under local system account. Since it remains locked in Starting state forever, technically it hasn’t failed so the recovery action (restart) never takes place. From System log {Type: Error, Source: Service Control Manager, Event ID: 7022, Description: The McAfee Boot Delay Start Service service hung on starting}.

I’m running XPP SP3 with all final updates (including IE, but don’t use it) and McAfee SC 12.8.934 (dated 2/21/2014), AV 16.8.708 (dated 4/9/2014) VS 2.8.716 (dated 10/17/2013) reporting Secure, no action required. MVT reports no problems found either.

I can’t find this condition previously reported in the forums, but https://community.mcafee.com/thread/63714?start=0&tstart=0 was also problem for me. Both errors have been occurring at least since 2/25/2014; my System log goes back no further. I followed the work around for mfeapfk.sys (Start key change from 2 -> 3) which suppressed the startup error message (file modified date January 27, 2014 with build SYSCORE.15.1.0.659 F16).

Message was edited by: moldyjacket on 4/10/14 12:16:00 AM CDT
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
moldyjacket
Former Member
Message 61 of 73

Re: The McAfee Boot Delay Start Service service hung on starting. Event ID: 7022

Jump to solution

I can absolutely confirm there have been changes to the full install package since my last reinstallation (late night Apr 14, 2014 EST). Tonights ubiquitous recommended uninstall confirms the same results I got with my trusted new system HD: no McAfee Boot Delay service exists and mfeapfk.sys Start registry value is automatically set as 3 so there are no problems. Perhaps these fixes will eventually rollout to everyone without the need to reinstall McAfee.

Selvan, I can confirm there is no HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\mcbootdelaystartsvc entry left after complete uninstall. However, this entry looks like it might be a McAfee leftover: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\McMPFSvc

Boot Delay Start Service.jpg

Maybe not, I’m tired of researching.

Anyway I’m an expert at reinstalling McAfee now, so here’s a tip: always use the IE browser (even running XP), don’t close your browser and stay signed in. Run everything from within the browser and the installation will be smooth as silk.

View solution in original post

72 Replies
selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 73

Re: The McAfee Boot Delay Start Service service hung on starting. Event ID: 7022

Jump to solution

Hi moldyjacket,

Please specify whether you want the service stopped or started. This service will be started when "Regular startup" is selected in RTS settings. If Fast Boot option is checked then this service will be in Stopped state . Please test this post back the outcome.

Steps for changing the Boot Protection.

> Open McAfee User Interface and click on Real Time Scanning

> Click on RTS and select Start Up Settings

> Choose between the two settings and see if the Service functions accordingly.

moldyjacket
Former Member
Message 3 of 73

Jump to solution

Thanks for responding, I simply want the service to behave correctly with the OS.

The service is always locked (can’t be manually stopped or started) in a “Starting” state forever regardless of Normal (all known threats) or Fast (common threats) startup settings. The operating system should be aware of its true state, either started (running) or stopped but not remain endlessly in a starting condition.

http://www.microsoft.com/products/ee/transform.aspx?ProdName=Windows%20Operating%20System&ProdVer=5....

Management Console [Services] shows the service remains continuously in the starting state. I don’t know if it affects McAfee (is the scan actually performing its complete job???), but the OS should not be spending cycles on it.

Notice all buttons (Start/Stop/Pause/Resume) are grayed out and status is Starting. Can anyone else confirm this behavior or am I a special case in need of direct technical support when I can ever find the time?

PS: I too was/am affected by the machinegun empty floppy drive probes so I disconnected it. Glad to hear fixes coming for it and the mfeapfk.sys problem.

Message was edited by: moldyjacket on 4/11/14 1:16:54 PM CDT
moldyjacket
Former Member
Message 4 of 73

Jump to solution

Additional info: My processor is an Intel P4 with hyper-threading. I tried disabling hyper-threading, but the problem persists.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 5 of 73

Jump to solution

Hi moldyjacket,

Please confirm if you are the System Administrator and not a Standard user. These settings are available only to Administrator profiles however McAfee's core Services could not be accessed even by Administrators as it may compromise security if they can be easily tampered with.

With regards to this service you can boot windows to safe mode and login to the Administrator account. Check properties from there and see if they are accessible.

moldyjacket
Former Member
Message 6 of 73

Jump to solution

Yes, my login is Admin of the machine.

Booting under Safe mode and using the Administrator account: service is listed as automatic but does not start. Start button for the service is active, but does not start (returns error saying the service can not be started under Safe mode).

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 7 of 73

Jump to solution

Hi,

This clearly indicates that McAfee Boot Delay Start Service is one of the core services and cannot be operated while the Software is Active. (Windows disables all 3rd party apps in Safe mode and hence we are able to access buttons though service could not be started)

I would suggest to leave the service status since it is directly controlled by McAfee. You may check the service status and post back when it gives out an error log or it is marked for deletion.

moldyjacket
Former Member
Message 8 of 73

Jump to solution

Sorry, but I do not understand your last paragraph.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 9 of 73

Jump to solution

Thanks for the screenshot. I was requesting to report back if you were seeing this Error log and/or the service could not be started giving a message "Service marked for deletion"

Please do contact McAfee Technical Support from this link and open a Service Request if you are seeing this error log more frequently. Let me know the SR number after establishing a session and post here the SR # for me to follow up.

moldyjacket
Former Member
Message 10 of 73

Jump to solution

Thanks, will attempt this weekend. 

From MsConfig:

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community