cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Regsy
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Ridiculous amount of reminders, pop ups and emails

I have multiple machines running McAfee and its gettin got the point where I will not be renewing my subscription again.

I get nothing but reminders that my subscription is about to expire, i will be unprotected.  Its true my protection will expire, IN AUGUST!

can't turn it off, can't ignore it, got an email this morning again telling me that I need to renew! its annoying and pointless, warn me a month or a fortnight before but not 5 MONTHS! Sorry but its worse that having malware popping up! 

I'll be changinf protection providers if it carries on like this, and other pop ups are as bad, "you haven't selected auto renew" " you need to use our VPN for protection" how about letting me decide?  for a professional set up this is really really poor.

5 Replies
Venkat_YM
Message 2 of 6

Re: Ridiculous amount of reminders, pop ups and emails

Hi @Regsy,

Greetings from McAfee.

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused. I have sent a private message to you, kindly revert with the required details to help you.

Regards,

Venkat

wmcole
Contributor II
Message 3 of 6

And then they respond to you with a ridiculous bot asking for the info you already supplied - ridiculous amount of annoying, no-value-added pop-ups! 

McAfee (Intel) don't give $^!+ about what you  think of their useless brag-ware, market-ware, attention-ware that does NOTHING TO IMPROVE YOUR SAFETY, THE EFFECTIVENESS OR THE EFFICIENCY OF THEIR SOFTWARE! 

Since Intel took over the product:

1.  The bogus setting to disable these pop-ups does nothing.
  2.  They have now set the pop-ups so you can't simply ignore them so they disappear in a few seconds.  NOOOooo!  Now you actually have to click on the close gadget to get rid of them. 
  3. User control has been greatly decreased  (E.g. you can't select individual files or directories to include  exclude from scans.)
  4. Specificity of information has decreased.  E.g. security reports used to tell you a specific source and type of issue was handled and/or what specifically the  user needed to do to tighten up security.  Now if you click on "Details" you get sent to a generic brag page that tells you how wonderful they are at protecting against various issues.  No longer can you tel who specifically tried to breach your system, when, and in  what way.  They took that info away a long time ago.
  5. The DECREASED users security by moving the security report online as opposed to storing it on your local device. This exposes information about you and your devices to the entire Internet universe more easily especially since it appears "my account" on McAfee has been hacked a number of times.  (This alone accounts for 90% of the "McAfee" emails - from non-McAfee sources who seem to know all about my subscription(s) and try to jump the gun on renewals by a few weeks hoping I won't notice.  Reports of the breach(s) to McAfee get crickets in response.)
  6. I had signed up for the identity protection but every time McAfee pushes an update onto my system they disable it so they can pester me with pop-ups to enable it - AGAIN!  The service is a re-send (Several days to a week later) of info I get from MyIDCare, a free service I got after Chinese military intelligence stole all my medical records from medical insurance companies and security application info from the US Office of Personnel Management about 15 - 20 years ago.

McAfee updates the software now, not to improve the efficiency or effectiveness of the software nor increased user control and visibility into detected threats, but to propogandize you into thinking how wonderful they are so they can reach deeper into your wallet.

It is clear at this point the only solution is to transition to a different security suite vendor.

DJSomers
Contributor
Message 4 of 6

I have also been receiving numerous emails telling me to renew my subscription which ended on Oct 23, and I can find no way to stop them. I bought a new McAfee subscription from HP and activated it on Oct 23 and it shows in the McAfee icon/app. I unsubscribed from the McAfee emails today, but now I'm afraid I won't receive pertinent emails from McAfee for my current subscription. 

The emails are from what appears to be a legitimate email address, but I am not permitted to place it here.

Can you help? Thanks.

Intrigued
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Oh dear, does not sound good. I am also experiencing this and have only just enrolled, its already got me questioning about continuing using McAfee as a security provider. Also, can I add here if allowed I have more than one device protected with my McAfee security, why is it that the #identity scores are the same on the 2 separate devices? I would really appreciate your answers

wmcole
Contributor II
Message 6 of 6

... and that is why I let my McAfee subscription lapse.  I switched to Avast.  It got a significantly higher rating from the latest quarterly testing reports from SE Labs.  In the month I have been running it, the only pop-ups I've gotten are for things that need user intervention (like application block / allow decisions for access to protected files / directories, or to show the results of scheduled scans. So far no useless brag- market- sales-ware  interruptions.  Subscription auto-renewal easily controlled through "My Account" page, (so little chance of the fraudulent renewal charges for which Bitdefender is famous) and Avast has no ties to Russian intelligence as does Kaspersky. So, IMHO Avast Premium is the best mix of security and user control of security options and auto-renewal services.  Hands down  better security marks from testing labs, and WAY BETTER  user experience than McAfee "Total Protection".

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community