cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gregpierce
Former Member
Message 1 of 231

Received DCOM shutdown immed. after today's update.

Hi,

My pc appears to have been completely disabled as a result of today's update. Within a minute of having recieved the systray notification telling me my mcafee update is complete, I receieved an automatic shutdown notice from Windows telling me that DCOM has unexpectedly stopped, and the machine needs to be rebooted. After the reboot, most of my services did not start (including DCOM).  If I try to manually start them using the services snapin, I get an error saying file not found. I am unable to do any installations or uninstallations as a result. Please help.

Greg

230 Replies
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 2 of 231

Re: Received DCOM shutdown immed. after today's update.

Hello Greg,

Yes, we've had some reports of issues like what you're describing. We're working on a fix for you. I'll keep you updated!

iraheinichen
Former Member
Message 3 of 231

Yes please! Me too

I didn't actually see the update, since i had the computer up working overnight doing a system scan - everything actually seemed fine this morning, but McAfee froze while trying to quarantine a file it found (not svchost.exe as far as i could tell...some other crack file it found in a backup file...nonetheless, my svchost.exe file IS missing from the system32 folder)

So I rebooted my computer and *immediately* upon loading the desktop got the DCOM error and the 60 second countdown to reboot

I immediately thought i got a virus somehow and booted into safe mode to run McAfee there and try to find it. McAfee console loaded for a couple seconds before again rebooting my computer, this time with no error messages of any kind.

Now I can't do *anything* - both safe and regular mode of windows XP will boot, but i can't do anything. I tried to do the workaround I found posted in a news article, but that involved copying a replacement svchost.exe file from a flash drive and I can't even do that. I can open folders and even some programs, but I can't move anything, copy anything, or open McAfee. i also tried installing the replacement DAT file you guys posted, but that comes back every time saying it can't find any qualifying mcafee products

please help! my computer is completely useless

i'm running windows XP SP3 with McAfee Total Protection 2010

Kelly12
Former Member
Message 4 of 231

My computer is suffering a similar fate at the moment. I can't delete McAfee, remove files, add the patches or any other remedial measure.  Of course, the issue crashed by internet with a "notification DLL has not been registered. program will not work properly" notation.  Now, my Excel, Word, Quickbooks, etc. won't open properly.  The computer is effectively incapacitated by this virus.

Is there a timeframe for when McAfee might be producing a patch/fix?

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 5 of 231

Unfortunately, I don't have a timeframe yet, but I assure you we've got everyone working right now on this. We're absolutely focused on getting you all up and running.

Ehapi
Former Member
Message 6 of 231

I'm having the same problem with XP SP3 which began today around noontime. I was able (as far as I can tell as I have not yet rebooted my machine) to go to START>RUN> where I typed 'shutdown -a', this stopped the infernal shutdown notice and countdown. McAfee Security Centre, however, is slammed. It would not even open. Windows Update is a bust too. I was able to run Windows Malicious Software Remover which says it found nothing-yeah right! I have no idea what to do now. 

Seems McAfee is working on a fix--hope it's soon and that it works!

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 7 of 231

Ehapi,

Just to clarify, you can't open SecurityCenter at all, and have not rebooted?

Hugh
Former Member
Message 8 of 231

At 7 a.m. PST  I noticed the McAfee icon changed and subsequently required a reboot.  After the reboot this morning my internet connections were gone and I am unable to add new network connections, thus unable to get online with the affected computer.  It also has a RPC server is unavailable warning. Anyone know what can be done about the RPC server warning?  Are these the same sort of problems that others have experienced? 

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 9 of 231

Hello everyone,

Thanks for being so patient. I've got a set of manual steps you can use right now to get back up and running. Please reply here if this doesn't fix you up so I can get to work on that for you!

1. Start your computer in Safe Mode (When starting press F8 and pick Safe Mode).
  2. Open My Computer.
  3. Double-Click the C:\ drive.
  4. Double-click Program Files.
  5. Double-click McAfee.
  6. Double-click VirusScan.
  7. Delete the DAT folder.
  8. Click Start, Run, Type CMD, and click OK.
  9. In the command prompt window type:

CD\

10. Now type:

dir svchost.exe /s /b

11. The command will return the location of svchost files (see the screenshot below. C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\svchost.exe is very common on XP so you should find it there).
  12. Copy svchost.exe from that location to C:\Windows\system32 (example: copy C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\svchost.exe c:\windows\system32).

13. After the copy is completed, restart the computer.
  14. If Windows operates normally, uninstall and reinstall the McAfee Security Suite to get the updated DAT.

Message was edited by: Somer Pyron on 4/21/10 8:54:31 PM CDT
Ehapi
Former Member
Message 10 of 231

Reboot happened twice with the DCOM arbitrarily shutting down and restarting before I got wind of what was going on. From then on I did a RUN 'shutdown -a' and since then I've not rebooted but have been scanning left, right, and center with Windows Malicious Software Remover and McAfee's FREESCAN -this one is happily running right now. So far that's all this very unhappy customer have been up to. MSC will not Open. That's right.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community