cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
camcam
Former Member
Message 1 of 7

Real Time Scan makes some applications extremely slow to start

I have a problem with McAfee Real Time Scan making some of my applications extremely slow to start - I'm talking several minutes. These appear to include anything built with MS Visual Studio using Windows Forms. This started about the time of the last McAfee update and seems to be getting worse. I went on McAfee tech support online chat (the application for which ironically was also extremely slow and timed out until I turned off Real Time Scanning) and the tech said I have to remove and reinstall McAfee. This is a time-consuming process which leaves my computer unprotected for several minutes at least, so I'm reluctant to do it without knowing if it realistically can be expected to resolve the problem. Can someone tell me why McAfee is blocking certain programs and how reinstalling will help? If not I prefer to put up with it for now and hope a new update fixes the problem.

There really, really needs to be a way to exclude files and or folders from scanning, but I understand customers have been requesting this for years and McAfee hasn't done it. Why?

Thanks.

6 Replies
tyomni
Former Member
Message 2 of 7

Re: Real Time Scan makes some applications extremely slow to start

Yes it is realistic that reinstalling will solve the problem, adn I don't think You need to warry for that 2 or even 20 minutes.

camcam
Former Member
Message 3 of 7

I finally got around to doing the reinstallation of Security Center that tech support advised, and as I suspected it hasn't helped. I then installed the McAfee Virtual Technician, ran it, and got this message:  "Cannot find McAfee products on your system. Click here to find list of supported products."

I do a lot of software development on this PC and McAfee Real Time scan consistently blocks compilation of my MS Visual C# 2008 Express Edition projects and my projects using SilverFrost FTN95 (a Fortran platform). It inconsistently blocks other applications from starting. Back in July I spent hours on the phone and on tech support chat and basically neither had a clue how to fix this. It's a big pain in the neck to have to keep turning real time scanning off and on when I'm trying to work, to the point I'm considering going to another product and asking for a refund for the time left on my current license.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? And I'm going to ask again - why doesn't McAfee have a way to exclude files/folders/applications from real time scanning?

Message was edited by: camcam on 9/8/12 6:44:35 PM CDT
brian-1020
Former Member
Message 4 of 7

I'm running in to issues with computer performance and was advised by tech support for one of my software programs to disable my Anti Virus software (which is McAfee) real-time scanning for specific folder locations.

It doesn't look like I can do that, though, with McAfee. Am I correct or is there a way to exclude folders/files from real-time scanning?

camcam
Former Member
Message 5 of 7

I was finally able to resolve my problem by going into Real-Time Scanning settings and diabling "Use Active Protection for live defense against threats". Maybe that would help you too although you're having a different problem.

There is NO way to exclude folders/files, like I said above. So far no one from McAfee has answered the question of why this is. I know other customers have asked about this. My advice is for you to start your own thread asking WHY they do not have this feature.

brian-1020
Former Member
Message 6 of 7

Man, it's a real mystery why folders/files can't be excluded. I was hoping I was just overlooking where it could be done.

I'll open a new thred asking the question. Thanks, man.

brian-1020
Former Member
Message 7 of 7

Hey camcam, There's a thread in the features suggestions you may want to add a comment to, to help escalate the request:

https://community.mcafee.com/ideas/1025#comment-5387

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community