cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
onlinedown
Former Member
Message 11 of 14

Re: Mcafee issues (icon suddenly disappearing/interface closing/slow starting of protection)

Appreciate everything.

My systems are win10 1607. One got updated to SecurityCenter 15.3, another is stuck at 15.0.

Currently, what troubles me most is the sudden close of interface and disappearance of tray icon, in both 15.0 or 15.3. (The icon does reappear soon.) This may be during an update, or may be at a random time, although the program update shows current. If the Support Tech can confirm if this is normal it would be great. If this matters, I also run webroot on the system, which is believed to not cause conflict.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 12 of 14

Re: Mcafee issues (icon suddenly disappearing/interface closing/slow starting of protection)

​,

While (Webroot) has indeed attempted to make their software compatible with other Software Vendors, Similar to Malwarebytes (Free).  It is advised that one do not run any (2) products that contain a Real Time Scanner, to avoid any potential conflicts/clashes between the Software.

As you can see Webroot and Malwarebytes (Premium) are on McAfee,s list of incompatible products.

Especially since WebrootSecureAnywhere basically is similar to how the new McAfee (LAM) Scanning engine functions in Version/Build 15.1/15.1.156.

Antivirus Software, Internet Security, Spyware and ... - McAfee Support

All the Best,

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
cavehomme1
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 13 of 14

I can understand why you are tempted to use Webroot and McAfee together. I am not an expert just an advanced user of many years and thought I'd share my exerience - it may or may not help you.

I look after several PCs on which I have installed Webroot and several others on which I have intalled McAfee AV Plus. I would personally not install Webroot on a PC with McAfee on it, there are too many overlaps and bound to be some conflicts. At worst, the two softwares may battle over which deals with a virus with the result being that your system may crash and / or the virus slips through and causes damage.

I've tested lots of combinatons of so-called extra layers of defence such as Webroot claims to be, but in my view the primary purpose of Webroot is to protect a PC and not have to worry about a myriad of other AV software much of which is extremely complex. Both Webroot and McAfee are very capable in their own right, I would choose whichever is best for your own circumstances. For me McAfee has several layers and is capable enough to do the task of protecting me. I use Webroot on the other PCs for specific kinds of users and tasks. I won't mix the two.

Good luck with whatever you do.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 14 of 14

Marking this thread as 'Assumed Answered' as there has been no further correspondence. Locking.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community