cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
onlinedown
Former Member
Message 1 of 14

Mcafee issues (icon suddenly disappearing/interface closing/slow starting of protection)

Purchased Mcafee Total 3-user and it is experiencing several issues, which I am not sure if is normal or not.

1. Sometimes when I update Mcafee manually, the interface is still showing "checking for updates" or in the middle of downloading, but the interface suddenly disappears. If I click on the tray icon, Mcafee doesn't come up until after few minutes. Sometimes the tray icon also disappears and then reappears. --- Are these normal? Is it because of some updates in the background? Is the computer still protected during the period when the interface/tray icon disappears?

However, sometimes even after I did a manual update and made sure there was no new update, and if I let the Mcafee interface open and stay idle, the interface might still disappear suddenly without any reason.

2. When the computer starts, it takes about 1~2 minutes for the Mcafee tray icon to show up in the taskbar. Then if I click on the icon, it shows that the real-time protection is starting--the wheel is turning, and it takes another 3 minutes or so for the real-time protection to be ready (turn green). --- Is this normal? Is the computer still protected during that period, especially if it is connected to the internet?

Any clarification will be appreciated. Have to say these issues are quite disappointing, especially not knowing what is wrong and need to redo things:((

I wonder why the product cannot be made to start real-time protection immediately at the startup of the computer, and never close the interface/tray icon during updates. At least, if it has to close itself at a certain point, inform the user first so that the user knows it is not because something is wrong.

13 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 14

Re: Mcafee issues (icon suddenly disappearing/interface closing/slow starting of protection)

Try to address some of your questions in line

1. Sometimes when I update Mcafee manually, the interface is still showing "checking for updates" or in the middle of downloading, but the interface suddenly disappears. If I click on the tray icon, Mcafee doesn't come up until after few minutes. Sometimes the tray icon also disappears and then reappears. --- Are these normal? Is it because of some updates in the background? Is the computer still protected during the period when the interface/tray icon disappears?

If McAfee updates the program itself or 1 of its components it  (the tray icon) will vanish as it does not want the interface activated when this happens. I assume you are still protected as it would not be a good thing if it did not. I will get a tech to comment further

However, sometimes even after I did a manual update and made sure there was no new update, and if I let the Mcafee interface open and stay idle, the interface might still disappear suddenly without any reason.

Have not seen this happen sorry

2. When the computer starts, it takes about 1~2 minutes for the Mcafee tray icon to show up in the taskbar. Then if I click on the icon, it shows that the real-time protection is starting--the wheel is turning, and it takes another 3 minutes or so for the real-time protection to be ready (turn green). --- Is this normal? Is the computer still protected during that period, especially if it is connected to the internet?

Normal way it (the program) starts you are definitely still protected during this time. 3 minutes is a long time I will recheck mine and see what it does. ( takes 1 minute to appear GUI opens immediately I click on the icon.

BTW what version of the program have you the latest 15.1 could boot different to yours if you still have 14.10 or so.

Another thought what interface have you the light blue and green version or this 1

can you comment please

Also can you download and run MVT from the link below and see what it says. Note the session ID number please

http://mvt.mcafee.com

onlinedown
Former Member
Message 3 of 14

Re: Mcafee issues (icon suddenly disappearing/interface closing/slow starting of protection)

Peacemaker, thank you very much for your help. Today's update seems to fix the long loading issue. Great! The mcafee Total Protection is 14.0. The Mcafee SecurityCenter version now shows 15.3.

I will report back if the disappearence issue still exists. Previously, the update interface could disappear even if the download was not complete. If I let it update again, it would continue that download.

Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 14

Ok thanks for the update. In about you said Total protection is 14.0 and McAfee security centre is 15.3. Can you please post a pic of the about box. Is the interface the posted one or the green and light blue 1?

onlinedown
Former Member
Message 5 of 14

The interface is green & light blue. See figure, which also shows the long period of waiting for the real-time protection to be ready in MSC 15.0. Unfortunately, another computer is still running 15.0, and it just does not get updated to 15.3. The update check says Mcafee is up to date. But if the internet is connected, the interface/icon may still suddenly disappear and reappear. Again, even if there are updates, the update window may suddenly disappear in the unfinished update process.

Thanks.

mcafee1.jpgmcafee2.jpg

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 14

​  Could you kindly assist this Individual?

​,

I will also send the above mentioned Tier 2.5 Support Tech a email. Hopefully he will add to the discussion. Please know that we are not aware of his On/Off days.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
cavehomme1
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 14

Just passing by, looking for info on Security Center 15.3 when I noticed this thread. In my experience McAfee only updates to the latest version of 15.3 on a laptop / PC that has the latest version / update of Windows 10. I had a similar problem in that it indicated the latest version was 15.0 but today I manually upgraded my laptp from W10 1511 to 1607. Prior to the W10 update I'd uninstalled all security software. After the W10 update I went back to my McAfee account to download a fresh version and it auto-detected that I had the latest W10 update and installed SC 15.3.

Hope this might help a bit in your situation, good luck.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 14

That is strange as a Colleague just a short while ago, did a Uninstall/Reinstall and all he could get is the 14.0 R12?  As a matter of fact, I am still running 15.1. Thanks for the info..

Of course his was on  Windows 7 Sp1 .

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 14

​,

We just now finished our Conference Call, and Selvan is aware of the issues. He stated that after researching, he will be reaching out to you.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
cavehomme1
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 10 of 14

I agree it's strange CD. From my experience the version of Security Center offered is directly related to the W10 update version, perhaps even minor incremental updates too.

I was racking my brains for weeks trying to figure out why a recent Dell laptop was stuck on 15.0 rather than 15.1 on an older HP laptop. I eventually realised that it must be that the Dell was on W10 v1511 compared to Dell on v1607. The Dell would not auto update to 1607 though despite all the settings enabled to do so, so finally I manually updated today and then downloaded and installed SC 15.3 to my surprise.

Another reason for being surprised - the HP already on 1607 remained on SC 15.1.  Perhaps the HP is missing a minor update, I cannot check now. Anyway, I guess there is some kind of logic there somewhere, hope you guys can figure it out!

As an aside to mention in passing, I noticed that 15.3 no longer runs a process labelled McAfee Cloud AV, and I am not clear if it's been reverted to the previous scanner or a new one. I recall there were some detection issues which I shared with you before Christmas and which I also saw on at least one AV comparison site. Anyway, not an issue, just curious and off-topic.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community