cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jimmymac50
Former Member
Message 1 of 132

Mcafee Service Host Error Windows XP

If you read this post and you have the Mcafee Service Host error when using Windows XP can you please sign up and post a message because I believe Mcafee are not taking this error seriously. To my own knowledge this error happened when I had to restart my computer after a Mcafee update around the 13th November. Nothing will happen unless more people register with the Mcafee Community website because Mcafee will only think it is an isolated problem to a few users. So I urge you to come forward and let Mcafee know. Thank you.

131 Replies
k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 132

Re: Mcafee Service Host Error Windows XP

Please open a service request with Technical Support http://service.mcafee.com/TechSupportHome.aspx?lc=1033&sg=TS

Please post the session number that the Virtual Technician reports for a McAfee tech to have reference to further diagnose this issue. This issue has been reported in the past and they have asked users to work with them to collect logs to troubleshoot the problem.

Would you be willing to work with them?

jimmymac50
Former Member
Message 3 of 132

Hi Tom, yes I would. The technical support is only open week days so I will have to telephone next week. I have already run Virtual Technician and that came back o.k.

Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 132

Dinz is the 1 wanting logs so Private Message him and put your hand up. Include any current MVT sessions and any support call details.

https://community.mcafee.com/people/Dinz

herrmannre
Former Member
Message 5 of 132

There is a fix for the McAfee Service Host Error but they are not ready to release it yet.  This is absolute bullshit, they cause problems that they have to fix.  This is not the first or last time that they have released a dud of an update that has caused computer errors.

Peacekeeper
Message 6 of 132

Who says there is a fix. Dinz is gathering logs to see what is causing this. the issue is not that extensive so I hear so something is triggering this.

2 thoughts

HP Pc with zumo backup software installed? (also known as HP cloud)?

disable netguard a feature of the firewall if all works they need to know. Netguard is causing some issues on some installs this could be 1.

jimrockford
Former Member
Message 7 of 132

I have the same problem with McAfee Service Host.  It shuts down due to an error.  This has been happening for several weeks now, and happens almost on a dailty basis.  McAfee Virtual Technician did not fix the problem.

Peacekeeper
Message 8 of 132

I asked above so have Zumo or tried disabling netguard?

2 thoughts

HP Pc with zumo backup software installed? (also known as HP cloud)?

disable netguard a feature of the firewall if all works they need to know. Netguard is causing some issues on some installs this could be 1.

gatemi
Former Member
Message 9 of 132

I am receiving the exact same error message at least once per day, and I can assure the McAfee moderators and techs that the issue is NOT related to hardware: I have McAfee licenses for five different computers (all running Windows XP with the latest service packs)—one HP laptop with an AMD dual processor, one Macbook (yes, running Windows XP) with an Intel duo-core processor, one iMac (again, running Windows XP) with an Intel duo-core processor, one Gateway laptop with an AMD processor, and one Compaq laptop with an Intel duo-core processor—and the message pops up on ALL of them. I use Firefox 8.x on all of the computers (never IE), and other than Firefox, no two computers have the exact same software installed. In addition, I've seen postings about this error all over your McAfee forums and elsewhere on the internet, and it seems the error is popping up on a wide variety of makes and models of computers, so it is really a waste of time for you to continually requst hardware configurations from users reporting this error, as the problem is obviously not confined to specific computers, processors, or other hardware and is therefore clearly software related.

BTW, the McAfee Service Host error did not start appearing on any of my computers until the recent update that required a complete system reboot, which I believe happened within a week or so prior to the date of this message posting.

I've been a loyal McAfee user since the days of DOS, but this error is making me feel nervous about the security of my computers. Please resolve the issue ASAP!

Message was edited by: gatemi on 12/9/11 12:50:40 PM CST

Message was edited by: gatemi on 12/9/11 12:51:27 PM CST
jimmymac50
Former Member
Message 10 of 132

Two days ago I was online and no Macfee Service host error appeared for several hours, so I thought that was good news, how wrong I was. I opened Macfee Internet Security all looked fine and then a notification warning came up and said Macafee Firewall was off. I didn't touch anything or click on anything. For some reason Windows Firewall was switched on, no idea why because that was always off. Then I noticed a slightly different message on the screen saying Macfee Service Host caused a problem and needs to close, but this message was timed about 8 hours before the Firewall problem started. I switched off the notebook and when it restarted the Mcafee Service error came on repeatedly. That was it, I uninstalled Mcafee and did the MCPR as well. When I tried to reinstall Mcafee it told me I had to remove Malwarebytes program because it was conflicting. Anyway I unistalled Malwarebytes and Mcafee installed ok, I switched off and restarted again and after about 20 minutes the dreaded Mcafee Service error appeared. This time I decided to reset IE 8 and after a restart I noticed a windows update which wasn't there before, but maybe thats normal after a IE reset?

http://http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/bulletin/ms11-081

As I am typing the Mcafee Service Host error has popped up again. I am fed up with this now and after many years with Mcafee perhaps its time to say goodbye.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community