cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nocturne
Former Member
Message 1 of 22

McAfee total protection will not run because of dynamic IP address???

McAfee Total Protection won't run/update/scan or anything because according to "upper level tech support" they require MS Internet Explorer to update/connect, and since I switched to satallite ISP last October my McAfee cannot connect at all. I use Dish Internet; I believe they actually use ViaSat, formerly WildBlue. Dish swears they have never heard of this problem with McAfee or any other AV typre software, says they cannot change how their service works because it requires a dynamic IP address. When I change LAN settings in Internet Explorer (and I was told to try Firefox etc, but McAfee says they require Internet Explorer so they give me no choice either!), they are instantly changed back to proxy settings when I try to connect. Dish swears they have never heard of such a problem, but it is because of McAfee not them. McAfee support basically said don't contact us back until your ISP fixes the problem. (I didn't bother to tell the "gentleman" if my ISP could fix it, I wouldn't need further help from McAfee.) This is the bottom line: "Pranav Vijay (18:53:02): It's a simple connection issue and ISP will resolve it immediately." Pranav either mislead me or he is ignorant of the facts himself. My ISP says they cannot change how they supply internet service, they require a dynamic address, and McAfee is the problem. Could someone please help me make this junk work, because McAfee also refuses to give me my money back when even though their software hasn't worked properly since I installed it!!! (One reason I have satellite service now is McAffe claimed dial-up was a problem! Now they blame their software's failure on satellite service!!!) Please could someone give me simple to understand steps on how to protect my computer with this steaming pile of McAfee?! Please help, and thank you!!!

Edit: Some of my message was lost. I use Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, fully updated, if that helps. Thanks!

Wes

Edited by Moderator for clarity & to mark thread as unanswered.

on 14/01/14 8:58:57 EST PM
21 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 22

Re: McAfee total protection will not run because of dynamic IP address???

I consolidated your posts to put it back in the unansnwered list and then realised perhaps I should answer.   You don't have to use IE yourself but is it in fact up to date, IE11, and all add-ons updated?   Win 7 should also be SP1 which I assume it is already.

As far as I know a dynamic IP shouldn't be causing the issue so what I will do is email a contact I have in support and ask if they can offer any thoughts here.

nocturne
Former Member
Message 3 of 22

Thank you for replying. Yes, IE 11 with everything up to date, I believe. My Win 7 should also be fully updated. I was told repeatedly the dynamic IP issue was it, but it didn't make sense to me if only because I know McAfee & Norton are the big two security companies, and a lot of people use these type ISPs with dynamic addresses. There would have to be thousands upon thousands of users who can't get McAfee to work. I couldn't find this issue addressed on the internet. Any help would be very greatly appreciated!

Wes

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 22

Well I have asked for help in this thread, but can't promise when it will appear.   If I think of something I will post too.   Good luck.

For their use only it might be an idea to post the case ID number for the last support case.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 22

I should have added, in the meanwhile while waiting for my contacts to act, you may wish to re-contact Technical Support and ask them to escalate the issue to a higher level.

Pritish
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 6 of 22

Hi Nocturne,

I have gone through your post.

I would like to mention that we will do a small research into this issue and will get back to you on this. At the same time I have sent you an IM asking you some details. Please reply to that IM accordingly so as to help you better.

Regards

Pritish P.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 22

Thanks for coming to the rescue, Pritish.  😉

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 8 of 22

Hi nocturne,

McAfee should work both in Static and Dynamic IP addresses. Static IP is where your system is assigned a single permanent IP whereas a Dynamic IP changes everytime you connect/re-connect to the Internet.

If am not wrong the technician would have mentioned about the proxy settings that are available under LAN settings of Internet Options. If a checkbox is ticked for "Use a proxy server" under same LAN settings then there might be issues connecting to the Internet (Some Odd cases). If you are not using Proxy server we are good to go.

Please post back your connection speed (in Mbps) to ensure that is not the cause here..!

nocturne
Former Member
Message 9 of 22

This is what Pranav gave me after he basically told me ISP could easily fix problem:

Pranav Vijay (18:53:10):
After that you may please contact us back using

your reference number [484570-1397779503].

nocturne
Former Member
Message 10 of 22

Have tried, but MVT has to run 1st apparently before they let you get to tech support, and that isn't going so well either. Nothing McAfee related seems to work. I was told Pranav was top tier support, and he either either didn't know what he was doing or he misled me on purpose. So I haven't been able to get back in to tech support yet.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community