cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AceH
Former Member
Message 1 of 32

McAfee system tray icon displays NO tooltips

Running the lastest version of Total Protection 2010 on Desktop System with Win Vista Home Premium.  Mouse cursor over McAfee Icon in system tray does not display any tooltips.  All other icons in system tray show tooltips correctly.  I have McAfee Total Protection on two other computers, Win 7 and Win XP SP3 and both show tooltips especially when performing a schedulecd scan, mouse cursor over McAfee Shield Icon in system tray will display progress.  This does not happen on the Win Vista Home Premium Desktop system.  Any ideas how to correct this?

31 Replies
k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 32

Re: McAfee system tray icon displays NO tooltips

Has this ever worked at all in this machine? It may just be doing this due to the fact you have Vista versus XP or Win7. Are you having any issues with how the software is functioning?

AceH
Former Member
Message 3 of 32

I do have issues on the software.  This Vista Home Premium machine takes forever to complete a scheduled scan.  It's now doing a weekly scan since 4:00 AM this morning and it's only 50% complete.  The other two machines, Win 7 and Win XP SP3 only take about an hour and a half to do their weekly scans.  Win 7 is a NEW laptop with 300 GB Hard Drive and Win XP SP3 is an OLD laptop (5 years old) with 100 GB Hard Drive.  Win Vista Home Premium (the slow scanning machine) is a Desktop with 300 GB Hard Drive.

P.S.  On the Win Vista Machine (the slow scanning machine) I unchecked "scan using minimal resources", but on the other two machines that option is still checked and they take much less time to complete their weekly scans.

k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 32

You could try to run the McAfee Virtual Technician found at the top of this page under Useful Links. MVT will scan your computer for any McAfee related issues and will attempt to fix them. You could also try to contact Technical Support Chat. They are availble 24/7 and have access to many tools to help to diagnose issues. They can remote connect to your computer to have a look inside provided you give them permission to do so. You could also try to uninstall via Add/Remove programs and reboot the computer. Run the MCPR removal tool also found under Useful Links and reboot again. Login to your online mcAfee account and download and install your software and see if any improvements.

Maybe a moderator will chime in and knows of a solution to recommend.

AceH
Former Member
Message 5 of 32

Just completed a scheduled scan in a little over one hour.  Works fine.  Thanks.

Strange thing regarding the tooltip issue.  Now it will display "McAfee Total Protection" when not scanning, however during a scan it will not display anything.

P.S. To solve the issue of slow scanning I uninstalled McAfee, ran the Cleanup tool then reinstalled.

Peacekeeper
Message 6 of 32

I have asked moderator  EX_brit to check out his vista PC mine are win 7 and tooltips works fine.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 3/07/10 9:51:23 AM
AceH
Former Member
Message 7 of 32

I'll mark this thread as "Helpful Answer" since I fixed the slow scanning issue.  I'll run the MVT some other time to see if that will correct the tooltip issue.  Thanks!

Peacekeeper
Message 8 of 32

Peter tested his Vista  PC and his reply is below. MVT next check then Chat though I have no reports in the forum of this happening.

Yes it does.  A little slow sometimes in appearing but eventually 
it shows.  

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 3/07/10 9:50:28 AM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 32

Here's something I found from a Google Search...it's possibly something has turned tooltips off.

Browse to the "HKEY_CURRENT_ USER > Software > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > Explorer > Advanced" registry key, On  the right pane, click the "Showlnfo Tip" registry key.

Click "Edit >  Modify",

Change the value to "1" in the "Value data" field,

Close the registry editor window and reboot your system for the changes  to take effect.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 02/07/10 8:46:41 EDT PM
AceH
Former Member
Message 10 of 32

Tooltips is turned on in the registry because my system shows tooptips for all the other icons just NOT for McAfee.  I double checkd the registry value to make sure and the value is indeed set to 1 (it's turned on).

P.S.  The McAfee icon shows the tooltip "McAfee Totoal Protection" when there's no scan in progress, however when there is a scan in progress tooltip displays nothing.

Since reinstalling McAfee as I stated earlier, I notice that the double click function to open Total Protection only works upon reboot.  Once any sort of scan is done, double click function does not work.  I have to right click and select "open McAfee Total Protection" to access it.  All the other icons work just fine with the double click function.

Now I have two issues with McAffe system tray icon on Win Vista Home Premium System:

1.  No tooltip displayed during a scan - (tooltip works fine with all other icons)

2.  Double Click no longer works after a scan, it only works after a reboot.  I have to right click and select "open McAfee Total Protection".

(Win XP SP3 and Win 7 Systems do NOT have these issues)

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community