cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Baboon
Former Member
Message 1 of 2

McAfee daily DATs

Hey, since about 4 days ago i noticed the daily dat files posted at http://vil.nai.com/vil/DATReadme.aspx  have like 20 new detections and 20 enchanted detections when they come out but they keep adding new detections to them so by the time the next dat will be available the detections will go up to 100new det and 100 enchanted det , my question is if i download the DAT when it comes out , will i miss the detections that are added later or ? i really have no idea and it kind of worries me , i'd apreciate it if someone can explain how it works.

Lets take for exampel dat 6092 , when it camed out it had 25 new det and 30 enchanted but by the time 6093 was avaiable , 6092 had 406 new detections.

1 Reply
rmetzger
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 2

Re: McAfee daily DATs

Baboon wrote:

Hey, since about 4 days ago i noticed the daily dat files posted at http://vil.nai.com/vil/DATReadme.aspx  have like 20 new detections and 20 enchanted detections when they come out but they keep adding new detections to them so by the time the next dat will be available the detections will go up to 100new det and 100 enchanted det , my question is if i download the DAT when it comes out , will i miss the detections that are added later or ? i really have no idea and it kind of worries me , i'd apreciate it if someone can explain how it works.

Lets take for exampel dat 6092 , when it camed out it had 25 new det and 30 enchanted but by the time 6093 was avaiable , 6092 had 406 new detections.

No need to worry. Yes, the new detections are added and the size of the file is growing. However, as activity in truly old malware shrinks, at some point, these old detections are removed from the DAT files. So, the size basically can remain the same size (give or take) and performance can be held about where it is. Be sure, new detections remain for quite some time, so that the newest signature file contains the previous new detections as well.

What gets removed is based on the In-The-Wild lack of activity.

Have fun.

Ron Metzger

Message was edited by: rmetzger on 9/3/10 3:46:09 PM EDT
Thanks,
Ron Metzger

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community