cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
demonic_314
Former Member
Message 111 of 149

Re: McAfee Total Protection, Memory leak in fwpkclnt.sys after update 11.09.2012

Lotty - thx for the tip.  I had uninstalled and reinstalled this morning and was confused when it didnt work...  Redownloading the installer from Mcafees website and running it worked great!

Yeah- I dont have any #$%^  sympathy for Mcafee's server bandwidth... none...  not after my system crashing everytime I would try and do a backup to my home server for 3+ months...

It will be nice to not have to run back to my main system every 3 hours before it BSODs on me...

Peter (Ex_Brit)-   I can also confirm that the new updates do not memory leak to the Fwpx tag anymore.  Please pass on my sincere gratitude to the engineers who were assigned to fix this.

However... that being said... [and with all due respect to you and the other mods on this site - with whom I know are only just the messengers...]

...how McAfee handled this issue is total B***S***.

99% of the customers who have been affected by this issue had no idea why their system was crashing.  And I would imagine a lot of them (believing what some "tech" at a local big-box store told them) - ended up spending money they really didnt have for something they really didnt need.

For those of us who did take the time to understand this (THX 'fragged' for the initial post BTW)... these last 3+ months have been incredibly frustrating.  I have no doubt that some senior manager at McAfee made a decision when this issue first got reported to "address this in the next release" rather than allocate any resources to put in a temporary workaround.   Meanwhile the release date for 12.1 kept slipping (as so often happens in any product development cycle).

It should be obvious that senior and or executive management at McAfee was either unaware, unconcerned, or both as to the crippling nature of this memory leak.  It also seems apparent to me that McAfee also made a concious decision to withhold information from customer service/ technical support as to either the severity of the problem or of even this problem's existance.  Not even letting the forum mods know that the fix had been released is pretty inexcusable IMHO.

The anti-consumer and surreptitious nature of how this issue was handled means (and I am sure I am not alone) that I will have to re-evaluate my AV software when the licenses come due.  "Superior detection heuristics" probably wont out weigh all of the negatives I'm afraid. 

I am starting to believe McAfee doesnt realize what business they are in...  McAfee thinks they are in the software business - but they are not... they are in the "trust" business.   

Thanks again for everyone who helped with this issue.

Bobcat
Former Member
Message 112 of 149

Re: McAfee Total Protection, Memory leak in fwpkclnt.sys after update 11.09.2012

I manually reinstalled and got 12.1.253 / 16.1.140, and the problem appears to be solved.  Thank you to all who helped track this down and to those who put up with my ocassional rants...

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 113 of 149

Glad it's fixed for you guys.

daveett
Former Member
Message 114 of 149

Hi All - I too would like to add my thanks to everyone who was involved and instrumental in getting this fixed. Good to see that there are actually places to go for help so that you don't feel all alone in the problem.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 115 of 149

Now I wonder how long it will take before everyone in this thread has the fix.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 116 of 149

jonasii wrote:

Confirm, after a full reinstall, McAfee changed his design and memory leak problem has disappeared !!!

11.JPG

Message was edited by: jonasii on 11/11/12 6:52:30 PM EET

Hi just for our info could you post your Affid number...it appears if you click About at the lower right of the interface and scroll down to see it.

I ask because it would appear that the distribution is wider than they have told us.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 12/11/12 11:59:59 EST AM
daveett
Former Member
Message 117 of 149

Hi Ex_Brit

I can confirm that the updates are being distributed as I just recieved the latest update (build SC 11.6.435 / VS 15.6.231/ PFW 12.6.186) at 4:00pm Singapore Time / 03:00 EDT USA. I also confirm that it resolves the problem, memory is now stable and the PC is running smoothly. Phew !!!!

Thanks again for the support and info.

jonasii
Contributor
Message 118 of 149

Here, please !

McAfee SecurityCenter

Version: 12.1

Build: 12.1.253

Affid: 0-535

Language: en-au

Last update: 2012.11.10

McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware

Version: 16.1

Build: 16.1.140

Last Update: 12.11.2012

Engine version: 1343.0

Engine creation date: 11.11.2012

McAfee Personal Firewal

Version: 13.1

Build: 13.1.118

McAfee SiteAdvisor

Version: 3.5

Build: 3.5.0.229

Affid: 0

Language: en-au

Last Update: 2012.11.10

McAfee Anti-Spam

Version: 13.1

Build: 13.1.115

Content version: 3963

Content update: 2012.11.10 0:26:49

Engine weraion: 3.0.0.429

Peacekeeper
Message 119 of 149

Ah you snuck in in via the aussie server. We were wondering how you got that version as it was only released to AU, US, UK, or CA so far.

music2030
Contributor
Message 120 of 149

Happy to see that the issue has been fixed for people in AU, US, UK or CA.

What about those living elsewhere in the world ?

I am using the French version, so if you have any details about the agenda for France, I would be much interested !

Thanks,

Music2030

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community