cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
csylvain
Former Member
Message 101 of 149

Re: McAfee Total Protection, Memory leak in fwpkclnt.sys after update 11.09.2012

Mere minutes ago, I had McAfee Internet Security with Personal Firewall 12.6 (build 12.6.186) and SecurityCenter (build 11.6.435) and VirusScan (build 15.6.231) installed.  I was still having the "Fwpx" non-paged memory pool leak.  In recent days, I have had one update from McAfee which demanded a reboot.  It got my hopes up but did not solve the problem.

I notice with McAfee uninstalled, there is NO "Fwpx" memory pool tag.  And with that tag gone, so too is the kernel memory leak.

The latest McAfee Master Installer is indeed build 6.1.107.0 and it has installed McAfee Internet Security with Personal Firewall 13.1 (build 13.1.118) and SecurityCenter (build 12.1.253) and VirusScan (build 16.1.140).  There is NO "Fwpx" memory pool tag with these new versions installed.  Having run the new stuff for 20 mins (which was long enough to increase the non-paged pool by many tens of MB), the memory leak appears to be gone.

Tell me why McAfee Corporate cannot share information of this nature with the Forum Moderators?

This has done little to repair my trust in McAfee and my loyalty remains severely damaged due to the exceedingly poor way it has been handled by Corporate.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 102 of 149

Re: McAfee Total Protection, Memory leak in fwpkclnt.sys after update 11.09.2012

I can only assume 12.1 is that 'future core release' that we were told dealt with it.   We weren't told however, exactly which version dealt with it or when.  As it's Saturday in North America and all those offices are closed, I can't get more information, sorry.  But I am glad that it appears to be dealt with..

Peacekeeper
Message 103 of 149

The fix was ready but as we mentioned held up. Seems our stirring and the techs we access stirred the pot enough to get it added to 12.1 .

Bobcat
Former Member
Message 104 of 149

So how does one get this new version?  'Check for updates' says everything is current.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 105 of 149

It will eventually reach everyone.   They don't release these things all at once so that the servers don't get overloaded for one reason and I am sure there are other considerations to take into account.   We thought it had only been released to one area of ther world but it appears that we were wrong.  I've made it the subject of our next conference call with McAfee on Monday afternoon.   Short of a complete uninstallation via CP, MCPR, reboot, reinstallation, which may or may not work, there isn't much you can do.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 11/11/12 11:23:14 EST AM
lotty
Contributor
Message 106 of 149

Bobcat. Based on past observation. the update feature has to wait until the server releases the new updates to your install. They sort of release to batches of machines at a time rather than all at once. So it may take a week or more for the update on your install to see the latest version.

To end around this process just install directly from the website. The code there is usually the latest version.

This bug finally KO'd my regular PC and I had to uninstall and move to a new antivirus / firewall vendor. I have been testing out Comodo for past week or so. My PC stays up without requiring reboots for days at a time. Before I uninstalled McAfee I was having to reboot every 6 hours or so. With the Comodo running my non-paged memory rarely goes above 4GB .. and importantly when it does move up in that region it releases and moves back down when applications close etc.

jonasii
Contributor
Message 107 of 149

Confirm, after a full reinstall, McAfee changed his design and memory leak problem has disappeared !!!

11.JPG

Message was edited by: jonasii on 11/11/12 6:52:30 PM EET
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 108 of 149

I'm glad you can confirm that, thanks.  The new design is to bring it in line with Windows 8 and touch screens.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 11/11/12 12:08:10 EST PM
lotty
Contributor
Message 109 of 149

Based on feedback in the forum, earlier today I did a clean install from the McAfee website of version SC 12.1.253 and AV 16.1.140 on my PC most sensitive to this memory leak. After running 2 hours the memory has been completely stable at 2GB (25% of max ram available). The prior build at the same clock time would have occupied 6+GB and nearing a crash of the PC. 

Tentative conclusion is the new version appears to have addressed this bug and my PC has reverted back to a stable baseline operations present prior to the introduction of this bug back in July of 2012.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 110 of 149

Good news indeed.  Thanks lotty.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community