cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bobcat
Former Member
Message 71 of 149

Re: McAfee Total Protection, Memory leak in fwpkclnt.sys after update 11.09.2012

OK, just to recap, it's now 13 weeks since the problem was discovered and 5 weeks since McAfee supposedly developed a fix.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 72 of 149

Re: McAfee Total Protection, Memory leak in fwpkclnt.sys after update 11.09.2012

I have made it once again a subject for our Monday conference call agenda.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 73 of 149

The fix is def. due in the next core release but my contact can't find out exactly when that will be, he will however follow it up and let me know as soon as there is news.

csylvain
Former Member
Message 74 of 149

I am certain I have been affected by this for (by my count) not less than 18 weeks.  Every useful thing I do, FTP, SMB file transfer, SSH, SFTP, every bit of TCP/IP makes the non-paged memory increase.  And the system more and more sluggish because it's like a python trying to swallow an expanding alligator.

McAfee: I think we're done.  The beginning of the end was when you auto-renewed at full list price when you offer substantial discounts to all others.  Then, a year later, you renewed using an expired credit card with only an email after the transaction was completed.  I had to cancel that and then renew -with a discount- over the phone.  Now it is apparent you do not really use your own products since you act like you've been caught off-guard by an obvious and serious design problem.  And it seems you do not take the problem all that seriously, as if people do not notice increasing system sluggishness.  Oh, I am certain they notice even if they are not immediately motivated to complain or investigate.

From my perspective: this should be a FIX IT NOW problem.  Hot fixes and notification to all known customers.  "We're sorry" discounts or credits.

What happens in the next few DAYS not WEEKS determines the fate of McAfee products in my household.

aaronmefford
Former Member
Message 75 of 149

This is exactly what they did to me.  Renewed my subscription, a deeply discounted multi-year multi-computer subscription, at full list price on an expired credit card.  I had planned to let the subscription lapse and find another solution due to increasing problems I was already having with Mcafee on my Windows XP systems.  I was planning to find another option already, perhaps that was there plan, to bill me knowing I was probably on the way out given how they have been treating me and all their customers.

With MS offerring a compelling solution for free it is a wonder they are still in business.  I suppose it is only a matter of time unless they make some very specific changes. 

Stop charging multi-year multi-computer electronic subscribers the same price that you charge someone picking up the packaged software in a retail establishment.

Stop using us to beta test your new ideas.  If a new release fails or causes system issue roll back the software immediately to a working version.  And when you have a known issue like this one address it immediately.

Be better than MicroSoft in some measurable way.  Use less system resources, identify more threats or in some way give us value for the money we pay to be protected.  With the amount of processing power on todays machines it is unexceptable that AV software should even be a blip on the radar of processing.  Stop wasting our system resources with sloppy coding practices.

If McAfee cannot do the above they do not deserve our support and will not have it.

Aaron

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 76 of 149

Autorenewal is in the terms when you first sign up for the software and is there in your account settings for you to turn off if you wish.  

Also the price is optional.  Their computer only knows the regular price but it's up to you to shop around for the best price.

If the card had expired you never got charged anyway.

It's your option to go with someone else, so good luck, but always read the terms you are signing for.

aaronmefford
Former Member
Message 77 of 149

I realize all this, with the exeption of your assertion that I was not charged.   I was most definitely charged and verified the transaction on my credit card statement.  It is really quite easy to add one or two years to the previouly provided CC information and attempt to charge the card.  I have worked with internet service providers who have used this practice in the past, I just did not expect a company as big as McAfee to use such a shady practice. 

As to reading the terms, yeah that is laughable.  Besides the hilarity of expecting a consumer to readn and parse the length and terse legaleeze in such terms is, the humor in actually reading the terms, wherein you ind that are really ending into a binding relationship where the only guarantee is that you will be parted with your money, and that the company will guarantee to provide nothing.

My point wasn't that i didn't know that it was a possibility, but that rather if McAfee wants to continue to exist in a world where MicroSoft offers free antivirus, then they will have to be a better company than they have been.  That is not falling back to the small type of terms of service and allowing customers that are willing to give the company some money for service to do so at a previously agreed upon rate, without increasing that amount everytime the renew.

I didn't say that McAfee had done anything technically wrong other than altering the expiration date I povided when I subscribed.  I was saying that they haven't done anything to keep me as a customer.  And the only reason I have not yet demanded a refund is that I haven't had time to go about disabling Mcafee on every subscribed computer an install MS Security Essentials yet.  But at this point I consider them in breach of contract as I can not use the software on my computer to do the job I bought it for.  I certainly didnt subscribe to have my computer crippled by a stupid memory eating bug.  As the bug has existed for the majority of the length of my subscription to date, they are not providing the service I subscribed for.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 78 of 149

Then I trust you obtained a refund as is normal in such circumstances.  Good luck in your future ventures.  Microsoft offers free antivirus and a one way firewall whereas McAfee, along with Norton etc alia, offer antivirus, a two-way firewall plus other features, so the comparison isn't really a balanced one.  The memory eating bug as you term it only seems to hit certain machines under certain circumstances.  It's regrettable but if you want to try alternatives then under the circumstances it's quite understandable.

demonic_314
Former Member
Message 79 of 149

I am with you on this.  This problem has gone on way too long.  I can only use my system for about 3 -4 hours before I have to reboot or it will lock up. 

I am with you 110% on the THIS IS A FIX IT NOW PROBLEM!

I would drop McAfee myself except that McAfee still has the best detection heuristics 😞 *sigh*  (but that is quickly becoming a lesser valued variable)

(Although I still hate having to disable my virus scan everytime some exe I code ends up being called artemis! and gets thrown into quarantine with absolutely no feasible way of being able to trust it.)

I did find a way to get AV renewal licenses for the cheap though - just buy a new cd from amazon.  I tried to get McAfee to just renew my licenses at the price I was getting the CD's for ($7/lic) but their customer support folks arent allowed to step outside of their scripts. 

Also - to get around the "convenience of auto-renewals"  that so many companies like to shove down their "valued" customers' throats these days (with often no option of opting out)... buy things online using prepaid/limited debit cards you get at the grocery store.  Not only does it give an added layer of security between your bank account and the internet dregs... its always a little entertaining when the autorenewals error out and they contact you practically freaking out because they could not "conveniently" transfer your money into their accounts.

lotty
Contributor
Message 80 of 149

All

I have long ago had to remove McAfee on 1 of my 3 PCs as it crashes with McAfee running after just 2 hours. For the past 3 months I have dealt with this as a special case since this was a PC dedicated to running a constant video recording with writes to my NAS. But now this bug has encroached so much on my other PCs that I have had to shift to another antivirus. I did some research and am running a test with the Comodo product. I will all of you the best of luck.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community