cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 61 of 149

Re: McAfee Total Protection, Memory leak in fwpkclnt.sys after update 11.09.2012

Peter (Ex_Brit) pressed for news of progress in the last conference call. The summary of that conversation states that "the issue has been fixed in the next Core build" but there was (as of last Monday) no date given for its release. There is apparently a workaround that involves adjusting the page file size.

daveett
Former Member
Message 62 of 149

Re: McAfee Total Protection, Memory leak in fwpkclnt.sys after update 11.09.2012

Thanks Hayton for the update and your quick reply.  I guess its just a waiting game now. Is the work around published somewhere in easy understandable insturctions (as I am not really that technical) ?  The last thing I want to do is uninstall McAfee but the rebooting of the pc every 12 hours is getting tiresome.

lotty
Contributor
Message 63 of 149

I'm going to be brief as I'm about to zzzzz

This is well discussed in at least 3 different posts. I started the blue iris post .. It's the same issue. Recent replies in this post explain that why the proposed workaround will NOT work.

My only solution was to uninstall mcafee .. I then installed the free Microsoft security essentials .. PC reverts to normal behavior.

daveett
Former Member
Message 64 of 149

Well thanks Lotty, Still hope that I don't have to do it, but maybe will be left with no choice. I did some research and found a microsoft forum discussing the exact same issue and their conclusion is that its definitely an issue with McAfee and some correlation to "Memory Leaks in Windows 7 when writing to network shared disks". The symptoms described look identical to my as to what we here are encountering. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itpronetworking/thread/955b600f-976d-4c09-86dc-2ff19...

There is mention of a "hot fix" from microsoft but I am too a novice (scared) to try it to see if it resolves the problem. I wonder if someone more technical could look it over and recommend its install or not. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2647452

I will leave this up to those here much more technically adept than I am.

Peacekeeper
Message 65 of 149

Allwe were told last phone hookup was it is a MS issue that affects Mcafee. Mcafee is producing a fix that will work but no release date as yet.

Bobcat
Former Member
Message 66 of 149

KB 2647452 is for the paged memory pool, and has nothing to do with the problem we're having.

lotty
Contributor
Message 67 of 149

daveett

Uninstalling is not big deal .. i do it each time they have a new build to test for the bug .. then revert back to my current temp setup. Just uninstall from control panel; program features .. then reboot .. then run the MCPR.exe tool, reboot .. install MSE .. very straightforward .. takes all of 15 minutes .. my PC that I run the Blue Iris .. will run with MSE with stable memory for weeks at a time .. way better than having to worry about rebooting your PC every couple of hours .. plus the worry of something getting corrupted on a crash. If your worry is about the unknown with this proposed temp solution .. i have performed this 15x over the past 10 weeks or so with no issues. Plus my PC with MSE has stayed virus / trojan free. I run backup scans with other tools from time to time to confirm.

Once McAfee rolls out a fix that is confirmed to work i am confident you will get a notice via a post in the several postings in this forum that confirm the fix.

lotty
Contributor
Message 68 of 149

daveett

first i believe bobcat is confirming that the "paged" memory pool suggestion and workaround do NOT apply (for those of us that are non-technical the paged memory can be thought of as your swap file that writes to your hard drive).

Your problem and the problem discussed in these several threads shares a root cause in the "non-paged" memory .. (ie the shared memory exclusively maintained in the ram memory ).. and this non-paged memory does not release causing a crash of the PC.  Bobcat and other discuss this in better or more technical detail in my thread with the Blue Iris in the description line.

On the topic of pointing fingers at Microsoft. No doubt Microsoft changed something in their code, as they do practically weekly due to patching security holes etc .., but other antivirus vendors made the adjustment and do not seem to have the problems with memory leaks and constant crashing that you see with the McAfee product. The Microsoft updates that McAfee believes caused their problem had to be rolled out prior to the build McAfee released on July 30 2012. All my issues began that day. I have posted very carefully in my posting so the history is there to see.

A question you may want to ask yourself if its reasonable that McAfee has not rolled out a fix given all this time and what this means for you confidence in them as your security software vendor.

daveett
Former Member
Message 69 of 149

Peacekepper / Bobcat / Lotty

First thanks again for all of the help and advice, it really makes it easy living through the problem knowing that there are people out there to help and get some real good advice.

Lotty - I will do what you suggest until McAfee come out with a fix, just two questions to run the mcpr.exe tool is it just a matter of  searching program files and running ? and second how would I access the microsoft security suite to install it?

I agree with you it seems that McAfee is a little behind the others and should have addressed this fix way before now. I my self just had an udate on the 21st October whihc triggered the problem. It would have beed nice not to have the issue at all if they had addressed it sooner. I would expect that when MS provides updates that the other software companies are made aware and given an opportunity to testin advance but even if it was just missed it should have been addressed before 3 months.

Thanks again everyone 🙂

lotty
Contributor
Message 70 of 149

Either type into google .. Microsoft Security Essentials .. it should be the first link returned .. make sure to specific your OS and version .. 32 bit or 64 etc .. then its straight forward . .. once installed change a few minor settings to run scans at 80% of processor .. and days and time and full scans v quick .. but otherwise pretty much straight forward .. the good news is uninstalling the MSE is very easy and do not need to run any cleaning tools such as for McAfee and the MCPR.exe  .. here is the direct link to MSE

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/security-essentials-download

As for the MCPR.exe tool .. its available from the McAfee website

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community