cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
findit89
Former Member
Message 1 of 71

McAfee Total Protection Corrupts Any Browser?

I have 3 PC's. All use McAfee Total Protection. All 3 within the last 3 weeks have a problem with any browser working. Each get a 'Not Responding' message on and off. Sometimes it recovers on its own and most times requires a restart. After many days and hours, I narrowed down the common element in each system. Win 10 and McAfee. An uninstall of McAfee solved the problem on all.

Anyone else run into this McAfee problem? I have not seen it published on the internet yet.

(Too all new Posters)

Note:  Follow these instructions explained as a work-around, until the (Fix) has been completed.

Make sure you are logged in as an Administrator

Open the McAfee interface by double-clicking the desktop taskbar icon (by the clock), or the desktop shortcut or listing in Programs, and click Navigation (upper right side)

Click General Settings and Alerts

Click Access Protection to expand

Turn Access Protection off and click Apply (keep this UI open and minimized to your taskbar for the time being)

Press the Windows key + R

In the Run box type services.msc and hit Enter.

In the resultant Services table locate ClientAnalyticsService

Stop this (may take a few moments to stop)

Double-click the item to open Properties and alter the Startup type to Disabled

Click Apply and OK

Bring up the McAfee interface again and change Access Protection to On, click Apply and then close everything.

Reboot. (i.e  do a complete power down and up).

The update when it arrives is quite small but will change those settings back again but this time things wont seize up.

It's a throttled update, meaning it's slowly being released

70 Replies
andyross
Former Member
Message 2 of 71

Re: McAfee Total Protection Corrupts Any Browser?

An recent update caused the Internet access to occasionally stall. During this time, you will be unable to open up McAfee. They are supposedly looking into fixing it.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 71

Moved from Service and Support to General Discussion >Discussions

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
frmichelv
Contributor
Message 4 of 71

I have the same trouble (w10)

I rebooted the computer and disabled the firework then enabled the firewall and everything was fine during 2 days.

Today the problem occurs again.I updated McAfee and it seems work.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 71

Thank you for your invaluable input   Please keep us apprised if it continues to work.

All the Best

Cliff

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 71

​,

Are you still experiencing difficulties? Please see the latest post.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
findit89
Former Member
Message 7 of 71

My solutions in working fine.  The solution was to un-install McAfee and use Windows 10 Defender.  Will re-install McAfee should there be a solution offered. 

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 71

Thank you for your input   For we have continuosly had to repeat ourselves as *Moderators* in the other thread, which is counter -productive. Again McAfee is aware of the issue..Thank you

There is a (Fix) forth-coming.

Sincerely

Cliff

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
findit89
Former Member
Message 9 of 71

No idea what you meant by 'continuously had to repeat yourself'  I posted once in the support thread.  You moved the message here to General, which was fine.  I then replied to your inquiry.  Two total posts. I await your providing an update with a correction.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 71

Please know that I marked your invaluable input as (Helpful)   In other words I was only trying to convey, that we are aware of the problem.  Again, there is indeed a (Fix) in the workings.

The reason I moved the thread, is that it is more appropiate and can get better exposure.

Thank you for your patience and understanding...

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community