Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bookstudio
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

McAfee Total Protection 2016

Jump to solution

I have used McAfee Total Protection on my desktop PC (using Windows Vista) for a number of years and purchase new licences each year by ordering on Amazon and activating the key code.

This year when looking up Total Protection 2016 it doesn't have Windows Vista listed in the system requirements and I am a little hesitant in purchasing it in case it no longer works on my PC.

Does this mean that Total Protection is no longer compatible with Windows Vista and purchasing Total Protection 2016 would be a waste of my time (and money)?  Or will it continue to work fine seeing as the software itself is already installed on the computer and updates will continue without any problem?

Thanks for any help you can give me and I'm sorry if this is a stupid question... I'm clueless when it comes to the technical side of things!  Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 8

Re: McAfee Total Protection 2016

Jump to solution

The software will install on Vista but certain parts, such as SiteAdvisor/WebAdvisor, will be restricted as to version since Vista only allows IE9 max, then sometime probably in 2018 it will no longer be supported at all.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 8

Jump to solution

If I am not terribly mistaken, (Eol) End of Life for Vista is in sometime mid-2017 (April11/2017). Don,t quote me on that. It seems like a Colleague and I were discussing this just days ago.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 8

Jump to solution

I found it...Windows lifecycle fact sheet - Windows Help  Also if I am correct, McAfee will continue to support Vista (1) year after that date. Hopefully one of my Colleague's will pick up this thread, and add to the discussion. As I think he runs Vista as well.

All the Best,

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 8

Jump to solution

The software will install on Vista but certain parts, such as SiteAdvisor/WebAdvisor, will be restricted as to version since Vista only allows IE9 max, then sometime probably in 2018 it will no longer be supported at all.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 8

Jump to solution

Thank you Peter

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
bookstudio
Former Member
Message 6 of 8

Jump to solution

That's great.  I really didn't want to change to a different product (or upgrade my computer at this time) so this is great news.

Thank you both!!

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 8

Jump to solution

Glad that you have better understanding

All the very Best,

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 8

Jump to solution

Glad to help 😉

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community