Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
southsidetroope
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

McAfee System Security Center update taking out internet access

Hello,

Last month, we experienced the update issue taking out our internet access.  Starting yesterday, the update knocked out the internet on my fiancee's laptop, but not mine.  I came to the community forum here and found this document at the top of the page.

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101446

I followed it, and none of the suggestions, except uninstalling, using the MCPR tool, and re-installing from our downloads fixed it. 

Now today, she lost internet again.  She did a system restore to prior to the update, and it restored internet access.  She ran the Virtual Technician, and it found 11 issues, and tried to fix them, but returned a message stating "Could not fix all problems". 

Now Windows is showing no antivirus installed, but Mcafee is there and downloading updates. 

Any clue where to start?  I don't want to have to do a system dump and restore the whole thing to factory default, but I can if necessary. 

Thanks,

Southsidetrooper

5 Replies
southsidetroope
Contributor
Message 2 of 6

Re: McAfee System Security Center update taking out internet access

Update -  After the restore, and internet access being restored, McAfee re-downloaded the updates and it took out the internet access again.

So now we are back at this state.

McAffe, updated, but Real Time Scanning will not start.

No interent access.

Have done the following

Ran McAfee Virtual Tecnician - no success

Ran McERTFix tool - no success

Uninstalled, MCPR, re-installed - temporary success until McAfee updates, and then internet goes down.

Restored to prior to update, internet back up

McAfee updates - Interent down.

I'm clueless.  About to completely remove and install Microsoft Security Essentials.....   Yikes.

Message was edited by: southsidetrooper on 9/19/12 11:38:18 AM CDT
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 6

Best phone Technical Support - it's a free call and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

Just one question however, where did you install the software from, CD or the online account?

southsidetroope
Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Re-installed software from online account. 

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 6

Well you certainly did all the right things and your internet connection wont restore when you use the disagnose and repair option in the Network?

If not then I think Technical Support are the only people who can help in this instance.

southsidetroope
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

I will try the diagnose and repair option and let you know what happens.  If that doesn't work, I will contact Tech Support and update the forum with what they say. 

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community