cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
moverberg
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

McAfee Service Host has stopped working and has been shut down. Why?

I received the error message that "McAfee Service Host has stopped working and has been shut down."  I ran McAfee Virtual Technician, which fixed a couple registry problems, but it says all McAfee systems are running OK now.  I'm using Internet Security Suite.  A few times I've brought the computer up from sleep and seen a message that the computer was at risk and the firewall was turned off.  Each time, the computer did not have a live internet connection, and I had to reset the IP address -- after turning the firewall back on. This leads me to believe I have a virus that has affected McAfee and McAfee is unable to find the problem and clean itself. Has anyone else had this problem?  I've seen some discussions on other websites, but was wondering what McAfee says about this?  I couldn't find this in the FAQs/search area.

4 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 5

Re: McAfee Service Host has stopped working and has been shut down. Why?

I get that occasionally and have learned that it's just a momentary stop of some process or other that triggers it.   The technicians are aware of it as I had one connect with my machine to monitor it.  If your SecurityCenter says it is protecting you then that's all you need to worry about.

If you really are worried then scan with say Stinger, AdwCleaner and Malwarebytes Free, see the last link below.   To keep Malwarebytes free of charge do NOT accept the free trial nor activate the product if asked.

Otherwise Technical Support are available free of charge by phone or online chat and also linked below.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 5

Also make sure that nothing has set up an additional network connection that you don't really need, - Virtual Machines often do this as do some Apple products, Bluetooth etc. etc.   I usually disable all except my LAN.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 5

McSvHost is a container program for various processes. There are usually two instances of it running and if Instance #1 stopped working so would McAfee, dead in the water. The message is always - in my experience - about Instance #2, which is the container for SiteAdvisor. So SiteAdvisor has keeled over for one of the usual reasons, chief among them being that your local SiteAdvisor tried to talk to the servers in California and didn't get a response within some pre-defined time limit, so instead of going to sleep and trying later it fails gracelessly. If you've got the process restart parameter in services.msc for SiteAdvisor set to Restart after failure then the process just comes back after a minute or so. If you haven't it's easy enough to change the parameter(s) to ensure it does.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 5 of 5

Re: Re: McAfee Service Host has stopped working and has been shut down. Why?

Hayton wrote:

McSvHost is a container program for various processes. There are usually two instances of it running and if Instance #1 stopped working so would McAfee, dead in the water. The message is always - in my experience - about Instance #2, which is the container for SiteAdvisor. So SiteAdvisor has keeled over for one of the usual reasons, chief among them being that your local SiteAdvisor tried to talk to the servers in California and didn't get a response within some pre-defined time limit, so instead of going to sleep and trying later it fails gracelessly. If you've got the process restart parameter in services.msc for SiteAdvisor set to Restart after failure then the process just comes back after a minute or so. If you haven't it's easy enough to change the parameter(s) to ensure it does.

Interesting Will go researching that way.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community