Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
s123
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Internet security: real-time scan not stay on / quick scan errors

Hi,

Please help, the same issue has been driving me crazy over the last few weeks.

Real-time scanning will not stay on. If I click to "turn on" it turns back off after 5 seconds.

MVT session ID: 29115513

MVT suggests "pending: DAT out of date".

Updates are then downloaded, laptop rebooted as requested.

I am running Vista Home Premium on a HP laptop, computer is 3 years old but I have only had this problem since I purchased a new license and installed it (approx 1 month ago).

I uninstalled McAfee using MCPR.EXE, rebooted, ran MCPR.EXE again, rebooted again and then downloaded McAfee from my account (version showing: 14.5.130). No restores have been performed. I have done this whole process a couple of times too.

I have followed doc: TS100903 (steps to turning real-time scanning on) and doc: TS100914 (checking incompatible 3rd party software). I have run oas-disabled, ensured that within "services.msc" everything is set to automatic and now I am lost and frustrated. No other firewalls are on. Both SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes are not running in the background. Neither of these have found anything harmful on the laptop.

For the last week / possibly two weeks I would run MVT, the DAT file would be updated oas-disabled and real-time scanning would then stay on. One evening McAfee told me that it has performed an update, reboot required. The problems have started (with no workaround of MVT and oas-disabled) since the auto-update a week or possibly 2 weeks ago (a mid-week update). McShield is running.

What I am guessing is a related issue. if i try to manually perform a quick scan I receive the message: "An error has occurred. An unexpected problem occured during your scan. Please click OK to go back to the Home page, and then try running your scan again".

Please try to help me and not suggest I go to "chat" as I have never had a resolution from there!

Thanks very much.

5 Replies
Goldengirl
Former Member
Message 2 of 6

Re: Internet security: real-time scan not stay on / quick scan errors

Have had exactly the same problem. I know nothing about the technicalities of computers - a complete novice!!! Real time scanning kept turning off - tried to do a full scan but it just kept freezing. Unlike you guys who seem to know so much I just didn't know where to start. Tried to get onto chat but had to go via Virtual Technician. The problem it showed meant nothing to me, but did auto fix and it was still the same. Then attempted chat, took me about twenty attempts to get onto it - just kept initiliazing - whatever that means. Eventually got an operator and she took over the screen. Think she knew I was a complete donut, and I breathed a sigh of relief. She run something called a patch test and then I was just cut off. Chat box said problems with internet connection, but I was still connected. Think because I had been on for about 40mins they got fed up with me. By this time I was in hyper nervous breakdown mode. Tried to get back onto chat, but failed every time. Considered phoning until I saw the cost! Since then real time scanning seems to be behaving, but think I am having problems with updates. If you can't get it sorted with all your knowledge - there is no hope for me. Have had McAfee for two years and have always trusted it completely. Now feel very vunerable. Good Luck!

PrakashMcAfee
Contributor III
Message 3 of 6

Hi,

Please check the following things.   

ü  Check the Version of McAfee Product (Capture the DAT version of McAfee virus scan Without fail).   

Since you said that you're not able to ran quick scan after you uninstalled and reinstalled McAfee software .

ü  Try to restart the services of McAfee and check whether you're getting any error message.

on 11/26/10 9:57:53 AM CST
s123
Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Prakash, thanks for trying to help.

In the order in which I did things:

I ran MVT (session: 29136307) to get the DAT version:

DAT not up to date

Expecting 6178

Existing: 0

this was then meant to be auto-fixed as part of MVT.

I then restarted all the services within McAfee that were possible within services.msc.

My security centre then went through the update process (which is also automatic):

checked updates

downloaded update

installed updates.

I was then told that the laptop needed a restart to complete.  I restarted the pc with the McAfee button - restart now.

Laptop restarted and real-time scanner is still off.

Quick scan gives the same error message as well.

I ran another MVT process (session: 29136963) and again I received the same message in the log - expecting 6178, existing: 0.

I figured that perhaps the restart loses the DAT file again so this time I restarted all the services but DIDN'T restart the laptop once McAfee went through the update process.  Whilst the update process was running for the second time, I ran another MVT (session: 29137214) and had the same DAT problem (expecting 6178, existing: 0).  Once the updates completed and as said I DIDN'T restart the laptop, MVT (session: 29137354) shows 41 problems!  The DAT in the log file of MVT shows: OK but now I have 4 registry problems detected with a green tick so I assume fixed.  I now have 37 missing files all centering around %MVT_INSTALL_DIR%\ and then 37 different dll entries.  I can't now open McAfee internet security centre as I am told that the pc must be restarted to complete the update.

I guess the problem centres around the DAT file existing as 0 when the laptop is started up?

Please help!!!!

PrakashMcAfee
Contributor III
Message 5 of 6

Hi,

Try this following trouble shooting steps .

Step 1 :

Check the proxy setting:

1. Open Internet explore and click on Tools menu, select Internet Options.
  2. Click the Connections tab.
  3. Press the LAN Settings button.

ie7_connections_tab.gif

4.To clear your proxy settings, uncheck the Use a proxy server for your LAN check box.

proxy_checkbox.bmp

5.Click OK twice to exit the Internet Options menu item.

Check the TCP/IP Setting :

1.Click Start -> Control panel ->Network and Sharing Center.

2.Right click on LAN connection and select Properties.

3.Double-click on Internet Protocol Version (TCP/IP IPv4).

TCP1.bmp

4.The correct settings are "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically". After making changes you may be required to restart your computer.

tcp2.bmp

Step 2 :

1.Rename the DAT file.

2.Turn of your computer and restart it in safe mode by clicking F8 key.

3.Go to the following location C:\Program files\McAfee\VirusScan\DAT.

4.Rightclick on the Dat folder and click rename (Rename the folder  as Dat_old).

5.Reboot the computer in normal mode and try to update and check the status.

on 11/26/10 5:41:06 PM CST
Aldrin
Former Member
Message 6 of 6

If the above steps did not help then I would recommend you to click on the Useful Links on top of this page and run the McAfee Removal Tool (MCPR) and reinstall programs back from your online account. That should work....

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community