cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JWL
Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Inbound events: not appearing

I use McAfee Total Protection and it updated again today - (I think 2x; +2GMT).

In Bound Events

Normally I have a number of "attempted" inbound events, some of which I think are my server and others I do not recognise.

I have not worried unduly about them as they are preceded by the word "attempted".

Having read another discussion on inbound events (which, I'm sorry to say started to "go over my head")

- I am now concerned that something is wrong because since the 19th of this month I have had no traffic appearing in my inbound events at all.

Should I be concerned?

Other

As I am out of my depth having "joined" this community I am probably being neurotic, but could someone, kindly, put my mind at rest about the following as well:-

- when I access the McAfee website the "list of languages choice dropdown" at the top of the page tends to drop down without my selecting it, is this normal?;

- I like to keep the view of my folders in the "list" format, they are not always in this format despite having been in that format previously and I do have the option "to remember each folder's format" selected.

Is this just one of those "windows" things or could it be something more serious?

Thank you.

13 Replies
CrazyChuck
Former Member
Message 2 of 14

Re: Inbound events: not appearing

Answer 1. All "Inbound Events" come from your server. Answer 2. Yes you are overly concerned. Ex_Brit stated to newjack that most people ignore these "Inbound Events"  it happens to everyone. See attachment below as supporting facts.  The reason ? McAfee firewall is more intelligent then we are. So leave it alone. Answer 3. If there's no events at the firewall there's a reason. Perhaps your "Permission" in the McAfee window is outbound only or, completely blocked. The second thing to think about the McAfee services are blocked for some reason. Use the McAfee Virtual Technician and see what that says to you on the log reports. Until you find out what that reason is, yes there's reason to be concerned.

Answer 4. Leave the languages alone do not click on the drop down menu it well go away by its self. Other wise you'll be reading in Greek or, Hebrew or, Chinese.

Does any of this go over you're head ?

Message was edited by: CrazyChuck on 1/23/10 2:04:58 AM CST
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 14

Inbound Events often don't appear if there is a router in between you and the web, or if you are behind some sort of institutional firewall, such as in a University or Army Depot for instance.

They represent failed attempts at entry and are there only as a reference anyway.  So if missing there is nothing to worry about.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 23/01/10 7:53:51 EST AM
MoxieMomma
Former Member
Message 4 of 14

Ex_Brit wrote:

Inbound Events often don't appear if there is a router in between you and the web, or if you are behind some sort of institutional firewall, such as in a University or Army Depot for instance.

Hi, Peter:

Well, that probably explains why the malicious IP attacks I experienced for the past 2 days are not showing up in "inbound events", since I am behind a router.

Thanks for that tidbit (thus far, no one at T2 or T3 seems to know that).

(I wish it could explain why the attack is "reproducible" in the sense that it occurred 2 days in a row under the same circumstances:  booting system at 4:30 PM, McAfee loading up and going out to servers for update check when it is the only internet-enabled program accessing the internet) and at no other time.  It didn't even happen during a routine reboot to finish installing the MSIE patch on Thurs, "between" DAT file updates. And it only started Wed, when the "update server" problem was finally resolved. But anyway...)

Thanks for the tip.

MM

JWL
Contributor
Message 5 of 14

This is all developing my learning curve.

I ran a virtual technician the other day and only took notice of "all is working properly" ... oops.

I will go back and see if I can find the log report and read it.

... I couldn't resist a "chuckle" as I "think" I know what you are talking about, but not 100% sure - but that'll just take effort.

Thank you for your reply

JWL
Contributor
Message 6 of 14

I think that is why I am so worried

- to my knowledge there is nothing between my machine and the web; other than my server (correct terminolgy?) and McAfee

- could the server have put something in place?  or is that a really stupid question?

- I have not changed my firewall settings since 3pm on the 19th.

- however since the 19th there are not the common "attempts" being reported.

I will go and run the Virtual Technician AND read the report (as suggested by the other person) and see if that means anything to me and sheds any light.

Again, thank you for taking the time to reply.

CrazyChuck
Former Member
Message 7 of 14

My pleasure JWL.

CrazyChuck
Former Member
Message 8 of 14

Hi Peter,

Hope things are better now after last week. Wow ,what a nightmare. Did I just have a bad dream or what everyone seemed to just go into a panic.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 14

Much ado about nothing if you ask me, but then you didn't....LOL

CrazyChuck
Former Member
Message 10 of 14

Affirmative !

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community