cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ehapi
Former Member
Message 1 of 7

IE 9 and McAfee, Scheduled scanning

Since my Win 7 laptop updated to IE 9, I find that at any given moment, the computer freezes. I could be doing any simple tasks when this happened. It won't even allow me to CTRL+ALT+DEL. I pretty much have to unplug the power cord and remove the battery. Replace battery and/or plug in the power cord to get the computer restarted.

IS there any known issue(s) with IE 9 that would cause this? When I had IE 8 this problem never occurs.

Second--and this is since the beginning of me using McAfee--It does not matter how I perfectly I set the Schedule scanning. It picked its own time to run and takes forever to complete and SLOWS down the computer as well. I find If I force a scan myself--usually FULL SCAN it does not take as long and does not slow down my computer.

IS there a fix for this?

HOW better is this than Windows Security Essentials?

Message was edited by: Ehapi on 15/05/11 11:27:13 CDT AM
6 Replies
Dinz
Former Member
Message 2 of 7

Re: IE 9 and McAfee, Scheduled scanning

Hello Ehapi,

Could you please update us with the below information ?

What is the operating system installed ? (Win XP/Vista/7)

What service Pack ?

Do you have/ previously had any other  security software installed ?

What is the RAM size of the PC ?

How old is the computer ?

Regards,

Ehapi
Former Member
Message 3 of 7

Vista upgraded to Win 7 Home Pre

SP 1

32-bit

2GB RAM

It's not the PC. It's a Dell Inspiron 1520 notebook and I've had it just over 3 yrs now and the only security sofware ever run on it is McAfee.

{I do have an XP PC but I don't run McAfee on it. If you were around last April, you'd remember the agony McAfee cause hundreds of us when one of their updates went wrong.}

Dinz
Former Member
Message 4 of 7

What is the version of Virus scan installed ? Also the DAT version ?

Can you please run a CHKDSK on command prompt and let us know if it completes without any errors

Regards,

Ehapi
Former Member
Message 5 of 7

I've got McAfee Total Protection. How or where can I find the VScan and DAT info for you?

Why must I run CHKDSK?

Thanks Dinz

Ehapi
Former Member
Message 6 of 7

Dinz,

I ran the CHKDSK and except for these lines: WARNING! F: parameter not specified and RUNNING CHKDSK in read-only

there was nothing else. At the end of the run it says . . .  Windows has checked the file system and found no problems.

user_98201
Former Member
Message 7 of 7

Hello Ehapi,

The reason for running CHKDSK is to make sure there are no issues with the hard drive. Because, if you have any bad clusters in your hard drive then it would also impact the performance of your machine. Since you have completed CHKDSK, now its clear that your hard drive is good and free from bad clusters. Try to update the McAfee programs, make sure the DAT files (virus signatures) are up to date and if required reboot the machine in Safe Mode and perform a full scan again and check the duration of the scanning.

And the answer for your Microsoft Security Essentials is - No it does not provide the complete security as McAfee does.

Thanks

Aldrin

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community