cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thaigold
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

I seemed to have acquired 'Security Scan plus' somehow, I already have McAfee 'Total Protection' ?

A couple of months ago I purchased McAfee 'Total Protection' and it seems to works fine. Then a day or two ago i noticed another McAfee icon on my desktop which when investigated turned out to McAfee Security Scan Plus version 2.0.181.2, I could be completely wrong here but I'm fairly sure that Security Scan Plus was not part of the original Total Protection package that I bought. Security Scan Plus now wants to do a complete scan of my computer and I have some doubts as to whether I should allow this.

Would be grateful for and ideas on how to proceed. I'm new to this forum so apologies if this is covered elsewhere.

Thanks,

Alan

4 Replies
jaymfe
Former Member
Message 2 of 5

Re: I seemed to have acquired 'Security Scan plus' somehow, I already have McAfee 'Total Protection' ?

Hi Alan,

Welcome to McAfee Community. McAfee Security Scan Plus is a free diagnostic tool for your PC that works with all security software programs and actively checks your computer for anti-virus software, firewall protection and web security. It uses active protection technology to scan for all kinds of threats such as viruses, trojans, spyware, potentially unwanted programs, adware and browser history. When a scan is complete, you’ll see a report detailing the presence and status of your security protection. If problems are detected, McAfee will provide security solution recommendations. That is, McAfeeSecurity Scan Plus automatically scans your computer on a weekly basis to ensure your antivirus software, firewall protection and web security are on and up-to-date. So you can run the program and it is legitmate.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 5

Re: I seemed to have acquired 'Security Scan plus' somehow, I already have McAfee 'Total Protection' ?

You can remove it using Control Panel/Programs in the normal manner. just look for McAfee Security Scan Plus.   It is an optional extra with certain browser add-ons from Adobe etc. and unless you were really observant you may have missed the option to uncheck that download.

thaigold
Former Member
Message 4 of 5

Jayadeep NR

Many thanks for the reply, as this is a legitimate product from McAfee I will let it do its job.

Regards,

Alan

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 5

Yes, but I would uninstall it if I were you as it is unnecessary.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 15/04/11 8:08:26 EDT AM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community