cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FrustratedInc
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

I Can't Remove McAfee Internet Security 2011 From My Computer

I am removing the McAfee Internet Security 2011 because it isn't compatible with my computer anymore. Since December I have been having issues with the software but I foolishly kept it on my computer. The first problems that I first experienced were whenever I tried to do a full scan, my computer would lock up and shut itself down. I stopped doing full scans and I didn't have any problems with lockups until earlier this month. After I installed the last  "software upgrade" updates this month, my computer locks up and shuts itself down on a regular basis. I should also add that I have received several error messages stating that McAfee is causing Windows not to operate properly (I'm paraphrasing).  I can't even do disk cleanup or defrag my disk without it locking up and shutting down.  I have to remove this software but I can't. Whenever I try to remove it, my computer locks up and shuts down. Can somebody help me remove this software from my computer. I don't know what to do. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

4 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 5

Re: I Can't Remove McAfee Internet Security 2011 From My Computer

Technical Support may have been able to troubleshoot the issue, and it's a free phone call or online chat session, linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

However, if you can't uninstall the software using Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a Program (Add or Remove Programs in XP) then use the MCPR cleanup tool available through that same link at the top of this page.

Reboot when it finishes to complete the removal process.

Edit:  I noticed in previous threads I was trying to persuade you to keep your system current and if that is the reason McAfee isn't working properly, then isn't it wiser to bring your system up to date rather than leave it in a rather dangerous and unsafe, unpatched state?   If that's not the case then sorry.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 25/07/12 6:11:01 EDT PM
tyomni
Former Member
Message 3 of 5

As I understand You can't even remove it from control panel, don't know why Mr. Obivan suggested that You should run safe mode and uninstall it from there, and only than You can use MCPR tool.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 5

Tyomni, what are you talking about?  I said quite clearly:  "......if you can't uninstall the software using Control Panel...."

I put it that way purposely because of people reading this in the future.  It's important to use the Control Panel method first if possible simply because that method decrements the online account by 1 machine.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 25/07/12 6:20:00 EDT PM
karthiks
Former Member
Message 5 of 5

Hi,

Tyomni,  it is not necessary to remove the McAfee from the Control panel in safe mode to run the MCPR Tool. What Peter suggested is the valid one. Thanks,

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community