cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
evian55
Former Member
Message 1 of 9

How to stop mcafee interfering with xbox live?

Hello all

Recently I bought a new dell xps8500 and it came pre installed with mcafee security centre. I have never used mcafee before and was always a kaspersky user but I decided to give shot.

I currently have no broadband connection, just a midband internet dongle. Thats how I connect to the internet. I also have my xbox connected to my computer with a lan cable and must have my computer and internet connection active before turning on my xbox.

Now however I am facing a problem...I think mcafee is causing my xbox live to have a strict/moderate NAT (I cannot change any settings in my dongle so thats why I am blaming mcafee)

I need to know how I can allow xbox full access and for mcafee to not block any ports etc.

Can anybody help me?

Thank you

8 Replies
evian55
Former Member
Message 2 of 9

Re: How to stop mcafee interfering with xbox live?

Turned off my firewall periodically and xbox live worked instantly so pretty obvious to me that its a firewall issue...any help here please folks?

Peacekeeper
Message 3 of 9

Have you allowed the ip of the Xbox in the firewall settings. Sorry I am not an xbox user but my son runs 2 and uses Mcafee but he lives not with us so I cannot check.

Either check the xbox forums or contact Mcafee support and see if they can help.

evian55
Former Member
Message 4 of 9

Hi Peacekeeper

I think you're right. I will contact support as nothing seems to be working for me. Thank you for your reply though and have a nice day.

Peacekeeper
Message 5 of 9

Please inform us if you get it working. Did you read the xbox forums ?

evian55
Former Member
Message 6 of 9

Didn't get it working peacekeeper and tried xbox forums etc to no avail. Going to change my AV later on today and stick with what I know. Thanks for helping anyway.

Peacekeeper
Message 7 of 9

Sorry about you moving So support could not help either?

Good luck with your new AV

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 30/08/12 11:51:08 AM
evian55
Former Member
Message 8 of 9

Spent 1hr on the phone waiting for support but just gave up while still on hold. I think there was some issue where some users couldn't connect to the internet after an update so I'm guessing the support team were busy dealing with lots of calls. McAfee came pre installed with my new XPS 8500 so I said I'd give it a shot. I am a Kaspersky user for many years now so I just find it easier and know the in's and out's of it at this stage.

Installed it today and have no issues with it in comparrison.

Anyway thank you again Peacekeeper and have a good day/night.

Message was edited by: evian55 on 29/08/12 16:54:14 CDT
Peacekeeper
Message 9 of 9

Day here will do thanks and good luck

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community