cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
annarie
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

How can I uninstall McAfee whithout crashing Windows 7?

Jump to solution

My subscription to Mcafee Security Security Center 2011 has ended.  It was installed on my Dell Computer when I bought it.  I purchased a new version which worked perfectly on one of my computers but on my main computer, I was not so lucky.  First I uninstalled my old version and rebooted as requested.  When i rebooted I got a system crash.  I tried to start in Safe mode with networking but got the blue screen of death.  I then rebooted in safemode and was alble to restore a previous version of windows.  I called McAfee support and Dell support and no one has been able to suggest anything other than totally reinstalling my whole computer.  This is my server, my everything computer which is supporting three other computers.  I really do not want to go this route.

Menawhile my subscription has expired and I have no protection.

I ran McAfee Virtual Technician and had an error which isunfixable.  It says I am missing ".commonfiles\mcafee\systemcore\strings.bin"  Could this cause the problem.

Has anyone else faced this problem or have nay solution?  Help would be appreciated.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 8

Re: How can I uninstall McAfee whithout crashing Windows 7?

Jump to solution

If that doesn't help you have 2 choices.

Try Technical Support as they can probably help you with this.   Listed under Useful Links at the top of this page.  Free by phone or online chat.

The second one is just a thought...obviously the current installation is corrupted which can happen for many reasons but the main ones are infection or the use of registry cleaners and optimizers.

So I figured that perhaps by installing a trial copy of McAfee over the top it might sort it out because then you should be able to uninstall in the normal way, and run the cleanup tool after just in case.

http://home.mcafee.com/store/free-antivirus-trials

View solution in original post

7 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 8

Jump to solution

Did you try running the MCPR cleanup tool, listed under Useful Links at the top of this page?   You could try saving it to your desktop and then running it in 'Safe Mode' reached by tapping F8 repeatedly while booting up.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 8

Jump to solution

If that doesn't help you have 2 choices.

Try Technical Support as they can probably help you with this.   Listed under Useful Links at the top of this page.  Free by phone or online chat.

The second one is just a thought...obviously the current installation is corrupted which can happen for many reasons but the main ones are infection or the use of registry cleaners and optimizers.

So I figured that perhaps by installing a trial copy of McAfee over the top it might sort it out because then you should be able to uninstall in the normal way, and run the cleanup tool after just in case.

http://home.mcafee.com/store/free-antivirus-trials

tyomni
Former Member
Message 4 of 8

Jump to solution

You can simply try to reinstall the McAfee, and if it was infacted will be fixed.

annarie
Former Member
Message 5 of 8

Jump to solution

Thanks guys!

You are my heroes  Dowloading the trial software worked like a charm.  I actually did try that before with software I had purchased from a store with a CD but to no avail.  I don't know what the difference is but I am relieved.  This is especially after I was advised by both Dell and McAfee to reinstall my whole computer system from scratch.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 8

Jump to solution

Glad you are OK now, good luck 😉

sijil
Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Jump to solution

How to remove McAfee Prodcuts from your computer

Click “Start” menu.

Click Control Panel.

Double-click Add or Remove Programs/Programs and features.

Select and remove all McAfee products

McAfee Removal tool

Download and run MCPR.exe

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 8

Jump to solution

Thank you for posting that Sijil but it was that which caused Windows 7 to crash in the first place, but it's all sorted out now thank goodness.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community