cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wpc09
Former Member
Message 1 of 10

Firewall Settings show as "Off" - buttons for "Turn On" "Restore Defaults" only

Recently, after having to do a clean install of windows 7 64-bit, I downloaded and reinstalled the Cox Security Suite version of McAfee.  When I select the firewall "settings" page, there are no selections on that page other than "Turn on" and "Restore Defaults."  It also shows the firewall as "Off" even though the main page and the Windows Security Center clearly say that it is on.  How do I repair this?  I want to be able to see and which programs have been given access through the firewall, but that selection is unavailable.

Thanks.

9 Replies
PrakashMcAfee
Contributor III
Message 2 of 10

Re: Firewall Settings show as "Off" - buttons for "Turn On" "Restore Defaults" only

Hi ,

Please follow this Trouble shooting steps..

1) Ran McAfee Virtual Technician : http://mvt.mcafee.com

2) Type services.msc in search window and press enter.

3) you will get Local service windows in that restart all the services of McAfee.

4) In case if problem exit please Check with this link Click Here.

All the best

Regards,

Prakash A

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit to correct link on 03/02/11 7:04:15 EST PM

on 03/02/11 7:05:20 EST PM
Dinz
Former Member
Message 3 of 10

Re: Firewall Settings show as "Off" - buttons for "Turn On" "Restore Defaults" only

hey wpc09,

Did we get a chance to run MVT in your pc and check if it resovles the problem. If not can you please run the same and get back to us with your session id number.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 10

Are you talking about Windows Firewall settings page?   What you see there is irelevent as everything is now controlled within McAfee SecurityCenter > Web and Email Protection > Firewall.

If it is there that you are seeing this then Prakash & Dinz' suggestion of running the MVT is a great idea. http://mvt.mcafee.com

on 03/02/11 7:06:16 EST PM
wpc09
Former Member
Message 5 of 10

Tried these steps. Does not resolve.  This is thefirewall settings page within McAfee itself, where the firewall shows as Off, and there are not other settings such as which program have permissions or are blocked.  I followed the link to document TS101013 and performed the steps.  It did not fix the problem.

wpc09
Former Member
Message 6 of 10

No, I am not talking about the Windows firewall.  I am talking about within McAfee, looking at the McAfee console, going to Firewall, Settings.  What I see on the seeting page is: "Firewall: Off" and then the options to restore defaults or turn the firewall on.  However, the firewall is clearly running.

wpc09
Former Member
Message 7 of 10

Ran MVT.  It says no problems.  Session ID: 30633805.  I followed the link to Document TS101013, which described the same issue, but the steps in that document do not resolve the issue.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 10

Thanks and sorry it didn't help.  If the firewall wont turn on then something is not working as it should obviously.  You don't have any other firewalls installed I assume and haven't been runnning any registry cleaners?

All I can suggest until either Dinz or Prakash come along is to uninstall McAfee using Control Panel/Programs/Uninstall a Program

Then run the MCPR removal tool listed under Useful Links above, reboot.

Reinstall from your account online.

Otherwise contact Technical Support Chat via Useful Links also.

If this is a new purchase then there is also free 30 day telephone support.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 08/06/11 8:12:36 EDT PM
IdrisMohammed
Former Member
Message 9 of 10

Hi wpc 09,

Greetings.....

I just had a chance to go through your messages and i had a quick question to ask you. Could you please let us know if this is a problem only with the firewall where in your not able to change any setting and its grade out or it happens in other areas as well(like Virus scan or anti spam).

Please check if your loged in as an adminstrator on your computer becasue only an administraror can make changed in McAfee, if your logged in as an limited or stabdard user McAfee Settings may be gradedout and you will not be able to make any changes.

If your logged in as adminstartor and if you had already tried steps suggested by prakash and Dinz, use MCPR uninstall McAfee and reinstall it

hope that works.. try this and let us know how it goes..

Regards

Idris

srsaleh2
Former Member
Message 10 of 10

I am having the same problem as WPC09.... Any solutions???  The McAfee web chat support was no help.  I already re-installed the program and it did not fix it.  WPC, did you happen to have another Anti Virus installed before McAfee?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community