cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sgjunior
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Download cannot continue

I'm trying to download McAfee on a third laptop, however I get a message 'Download cannot continue' blaming the issue on either my internet or the McAfee server and tells me to try later. The first time I tried this was last night, I've since tried this morning but still no luck.

I don't understand how it could be my internet, my web browser works fine. I had another virus protection downloaded on the PC but that was successfully uninstalled.

Is there anything I can do?

3 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 4

Re: Download cannot continue

Try clearing your browser cache or even another browser, it should succeed eventually.

What I normally do is save the downloader file to my desktop first (& a key if they give you one as you may need it), right-click, Properties and Unblock it.

Then double-click it and go from there.

Failing all that contact Customer Service by phone, they're open 24/7 for your area I believe.

Maybe they are having server problems, who knows?   They can advise on that and if necessary connect you with Technical Support.

Contact Support

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 4

In addition to Ex_Brit's excellent suggestions. When you removed the previous Security Application, after initially removing from your Control Panel/Programs/Features. Did you use the product's individual 'Removal Tool '? Even when removal of your McAfee Products, it is advised to restart and use the (MCPR) Tool to remove any remnants.

And of course make certain you are current with all Windows Updates/Internet Explorer/and all add-ons especially Adobe Flash Player.

All the Best,

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
minsc
Former Member
Message 4 of 4

Make sure you haven't set the cookies security in Internet Explorer above 'Medium' (the default value), as this will stop the download dead. Seems like McAfee uses much of the gubbins of IE, and so if you change security settings from default, it can seriously affect McAfee.

This issue had me tearing my hair out for about 24 hours a few years back...............

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community