cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KidneyinaCooler
Former Member
Message 1 of 31

Download Cannot Continue due to Internet Connection

I have been trying to install McAfee onto a desktop running XP using cable wireless internet. I installed more memory due to the fact that there was not enough in the system to initially install it. I also did a few upgrades as far as USB 2.0 ports to support the wireless adapter that I had.

Now, the download says it cannot continue because of my internet connection. I'm not sure what the problem is, and when I tried to start a chat support session the GoToAssist program would not run, flashing an error message. Is there a setting I need to change in order to utilize this service?

I ran the pre-install programs that I saw outlined in other posts, and it seems that it worked with just a few errors. I don't know if this could be the problem. It did not help the install. I have the last log file of the cleanup.

If someone could help me out that would be great. I suspect this computer has a number of viruses.

Message was edited by: KidneyinaCooler on 7/5/10 12:09:19 PM GMT-05:00
30 Replies
k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 31

Re: Download Cannot Continue due to Internet Connection

If you beleive you have some malware or virus issues the above link will assist in resolving those. After following the recommendations in the link you could also try running www.malwarebytes.org and www.superantispyware.com both of which are free and can remove a lot of stuff. may I suggest you download these programs to a usb stick and rename the download files and installation folder to something you can easily remember as virus and malware are written to protect themselves. When you rename the files, they may not see them as a threat thus allowing you to proceed. After installation check for the lates updates and run the program and let it clean everything it finds and reboot the computer. Go to the next program and do the same and reboot.

You should then try to uninstall mcAfee via Add/Remove programs and reboot, run the MCPR removal tool found at the top of this page under Useful Links and reboot again. Run the McAfee preinstall tool, reboot, and then login to your online McAfee account and install the software.

Let us know if this works for you.

KidneyinaCooler
Former Member
Message 3 of 31

Due to the fact that I had never installed McAfee on this machine, I wasn't sure how to proceed. However, I did follow all of the instructions that I could understand in the link that you had included. (http://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-1294)

I was unable to scan the computer because I do not currently have any  antivirus software installed. I ran all three of the Stinger programs from the Useful Links in Safe Mode/Networking.  Each found and deleted a number of files. I also ran both programs you suggested (Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware), each found a number of viruses and deleted them. Rebooted after each scan, ran the McAfee Cleanup, rebooted, ran the preinstall tool, and it still is not working. I continue to get an error that I do not have an internet connection/connection to server.

There were many viruses that were found through each scan. This is the log from the initial Stinger scan.

McAfee® Stinger Version 10.0.1.934 built on Jul  2 2010

Copyright © 2010 McAfee, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Virus data file v1000 created on Jul 2 2010.

Ready to scan for 3659 viruses, trojans and variants.

Scan initiated on Fri Jan 05 22:39:19 2001

C:\WINDOWS\System32\vidmon\vidmon.exe

Found the Artemis!E5232DCEFAE5 trojan !!!

C:\WINDOWS\System32\vidmon\vidmon.exe has been deleted.

C:\Program Files\CommonName\AddressBar\ikw.exe\3.nsis

Found the Artemis!935055FFF770 trojan !!!

C:\Program Files\CommonName\AddressBar\ikw.exe\3.nsis has been deleted.

C:\Program Files\PeDevice\PeDev.exe

Found the Artemis!1A99FAF10FA7 trojan !!!

C:\Program Files\PeDevice\PeDev.exe has been deleted.

C:\System Volume Information\_restore{8513C62E-889D-4878-A5C3-816F635D0F0E}\RP2225\A0143208.exe

Found the Artemis!E5232DCEFAE5 trojan !!!

C:\System Volume Information\_restore{8513C62E-889D-4878-A5C3-816F635D0F0E}\RP2225\A0143208.exe has been deleted.

C:\System Volume Information\_restore{8513C62E-889D-4878-A5C3-816F635D0F0E}\RP2225\A0143209.exe\3.nsis

Found the Artemis!935055FFF770 trojan !!!

C:\System Volume Information\_restore{8513C62E-889D-4878-A5C3-816F635D0F0E}\RP2225\A0143209.exe\3.nsis has been deleted.

C:\System Volume Information\_restore{8513C62E-889D-4878-A5C3-816F635D0F0E}\RP2225\A0143210.exe

Found the Artemis!1A99FAF10FA7 trojan !!!

C:\System Volume Information\_restore{8513C62E-889D-4878-A5C3-816F635D0F0E}\RP2225\A0143210.exe has been deleted.

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\nfomon\nfom.dll

Found the Artemis!4CFE30D6095E trojan !!!

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\nfomon\nfom.dll could not be repaired.

Number of clean files: 86846

Number of Trojans: 7

Number of files deleted: 6

I'm not sure what else I can do. I don't know how to proceed from here.

Dinz
Former Member
Message 4 of 31

Hello there,

May I know the followind details so as to assisst you with this one;

How is the computer connected to internet   ?  (dsl/cable/wireless)
Did we have any other security software in the computer previously ?
Also let me know the operating system of the computer so as I could navigate if we need to chk some DNS setttings in the computer .

Regards,
DineshK
McAfee Online Comuunity Moderator

KidneyinaCooler
Former Member
Message 5 of 31

The operating system is Windows XP. It is connected through a wireless adapter.

There were a few antivirus programs installed that I had uninstalled prior to attempting to install McAfee. I believe there was a Stop Sign program, perhaps AVG, and another that looked suspicious to me. I don't think the previous owner knew much about computer security.

KidneyinaCooler
Former Member
Message 6 of 31

I was wondering if anyone is still available to help me.

Peacekeeper
Message 7 of 31

You appear to have a few trojans present these or the 1s still there could be the issue. When you ran Malwarebytes did you update it Also superantispyware the same question.

The old programs ie avg check it they have been uninstalled and if present dig up their removal tool that is a better cleanup than add/remove programs.

Reset Internet explorer to defaults and retry the install.

Dinz
Former Member
Message 8 of 31

Hi,

I have sent you a private message requesting for a convenient time to reach you . Please get it replied so that we could get this one resolved for you.

Thanks,
Dinesh K
McAfee Online Community moderator

KidneyinaCooler
Former Member
Message 9 of 31

I haven't recieved any private messages regarding this issue.

Thank you.

Peacekeeper
Message 10 of 31

Any yet I am on phone with him so can ask him to retry

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community