cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrbrightside
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

Conflict between Windows 7 and BT Net Protection Plus

I am fairly certain that I have a conflict between these two fellas.

The symptons are varying periods where I can run Firefox for ages or a few minutes and then I get  "Not responding"  after that the whole machine freezes and all I can do is switch the laptop off.

Laptop cannot shut down or log off.

Always get the messages from the Action Centre about Virus Protection and Network Firewall having issues with the Virus or Firewall.  Action Centers asks me do I want to run McAfee Virus Protection - which is odd because according to BT Net Protection Plus everything is running and my computer is secure.

I have tried to switch off the Firewall and while I try to switch off McAfee Firewall when I go back into BT Net Protect Plus - the message on the front screen is Firewall on. 

It feels like neither Windows or McAfee wil give up and they find a way to switch back on.

I have run MS Fixit and Scanfix and they can find no errors.

Running a clean boot does allow the Laptop to switch off ok.

I have tried switching off and on the McAfee plugins - but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Is there a kind person who can help me througha few steps to get this resolved ............... 

3 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 4

Re: Conflict between Windows 7 and BT Net Protection Plus

Assuming Windows 7 is fully updated (SP1 and IE10 whether or not you use IE - McAfee does) and all browsers and add-ons are also up to date this shouldn't be happening as I just checked BT NetProtect Plus system requirements and there shouldn't be any conflict.  The only problem that would be obvious to me would be if you had a low-end CPU such as an Intel Atom - the software will not function properly on that.

try running the Virtual Technician to see if it fixes anything:  http://mvt.mcafee.com/

Now there is a chance, because you are using BT NetProtect branded software that it wont help, in which case I suggest you contact Technical Support directly.  It's free by phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

mrbrightside
Former Member
Message 3 of 4

Thanks Ex-Brit.  I got there in the end.  Spoke with BT Security after McAfee pointed me in their direction.   They seemed to believe the issue was because I was using an old version of Firefox (not really true as it upgraded when we checked the version from 24 to 25 - which had been released the day before) and they suggested I used Google Chrome.  However from the conversation they suggested I could ignore the error messages as it probably related to something hanging around on the system causing the message to appear.   That didn't convince me, but I ran the Virtual Technician which identified 9 issues  and fixed 8.   This improved the performance and I then ran CCleaner which cleared some junk.

Everything seems to be OK, so thanks for your help, although I'm still not sure I quite understand exactly what solved it.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 4

Well I'm glad it appears to be OK now and I can quite understand when you say you aren't really sure what solved it.     I find that often is the case with many things.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community