cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mdollson
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

Certificate errors

Please help!  Recently every web site I visited had a warning from Mafee stating not to enter as unsfae ie certicate expired etc.  I did a bit of researching and reset my defaults for firewall.  I get this this message each time I try to enter my e mail account.  I know about clock resetting! which I did and was ok but each time I turn my computer on my clock goes back to an old time, which means I have to reset it each time I turn computer on!  Please help with the certificate and clock issue.  Thank you

7 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 8

Re: Certificate errors

It sounds like your CMOS battery needs replacing.  The certificate errors are most likely a symptom of a system that is confused by its clock.

Abhilash
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Hi Mdollson

Could you please let me know the version of the Internet Explorer you are using?. That you can find by clicking the "Help" button in the top option of the Internet Explorer.

Thanks

Abhilash

Deepu_S
Former Member
Message 4 of 8

Hi,

Please check whether the system date and time is correct or not..

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 8

If you have a Certificate Error, I can offer two small pieces of advice to help you find a solution. Well, three, I suppose.

First, if you get the errors in Internet Explorer, and you've got Mozilla Firefox on your system, try using Firefox instead of IE. The explanations of the errors are much more informative.

Second, you may need to post an example or two of the error pages or dialog boxes that you see on the screen. If you don't know how to do this, don't worry, nor did I when I had a similar problem. It's not difficult to include a screenshot in a message, and they help the moderators to understand the problem better.

And third, if you've got Ex-Brit on your case, you'll be ok. He helped me with my problem, and got it solved.

Oh, and better fit a new battery. They're cheap but absolutely essential.

Good luck.

Mdollson
Former Member
Message 6 of 8

Hi thank you for your help (everyone) but hwat is a CMOS battery, are they expensive and where do I get one.  Thanks

Mdollson
Former Member
Message 7 of 8

Thanks.  Internet explorer 8

Deepu_S
Former Member
Message 8 of 8

All computers require a small battery on the system board that provides power to the Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor (CMOS) chip, even while the computer is turned off. This chip contains information about the system configuration (e.g., hard disk type, floppy drive types, date and time, and the order in which the computer will look for bootable disks). The CMOS battery allows the CMOS to preserve these settings.

CMOS%20Battery.jpg

Cost varries from 25 cent to 5 dollar(approximate value)

Message was edited by: haimydear on 11/10/10 3:20:36 AM IST

Message was edited by: haimydear on 11/10/10 3:20:56 AM IST
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community