cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kelleytoons
Former Member
Message 1 of 3

Can't turn off Windows firewall

First of all, I had to create a new account because somehow my old account was disabled here -- so I'm not new but maybe just unwelcomed? <g>.

In any case, I'm trying to turn off the firewalls on my Win7 64bit computer because the Apple folks think it's causing an issue with iTunes (it may not be, but until I can turn everything off we can't prove it one way or the other).  I can go into McAfee Total Protection and turn off THAT firewall, but somehow the Windows firewall is still on and Windows says that McAfee is managing this so I can't turn it off anywhere.

TIA for any help.

2 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 3

Re: Can't turn off Windows firewall

Hi kelleytoons,

I can't locate any other account here for you, disabled or otherwise, what was the user name?  If it was created a few years ago it may have been archived when we switched forum hosts.

When McAfee is installed Windows 7 wont let you access the security aspects of the system that McAfee now controls, antivirus/antispyware and firewall.

Did you try rebooting with McAfee's firewall turned off (set to never restart)?

Then Windows Firewall should at least be accessible.

You could try asking Technical Support, it's a free phone call or you can use the online chat client, both linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

Or try joining SevenForums and posting in this thread regarding this:  http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/522-windows-firewall-turn-off.html

tyomni
Former Member
Message 3 of 3

Re: Can't turn off Windows firewall

You can always uninstall mcafee, disable windows firewall and only than install it back again, if You want.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community