cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmckee
Contributor III
Message 11 of 186

Re: BSOD when connecting to internet using dial-up services (yes some people still do this)

This makes three people that I am aware of with dialup access issues related to McAfee. The cases are:

Myself - Using XP SP3 with both CompuServe (CS2000 and Dialer) software as well as a test using Juno. In all cases , part way in the connection process , the system freezes completely , but no BSOD.

CS2000 user (reported in their forum) - The user did not get the freeze or BSOD , but rather the connection process stopped part way through and then the system auto rebooted. Also using McAfee and XP.

Bob2011 (details above)

All of the issues seem to have started with a major update back in late May or early June.

M on 8/6/11 8:26:13 PM EDT
bob2011
Contributor
Message 12 of 186

Re: BSOD when connecting to internet using dial-up services (yes some people still do this)

Thanks, Peacekeeper

I will try calling...

Dell Dimension 8200, circa 2002

MS Windows XP Home, Version 2002, SP3

First BSOD after restart following install of new McAfee download (there is another image following this one)

P6170023.JPG

Restart and then this BSOD

P6170024.JPG

I can't see a way to attach the min-dump file or I would.

malwarekilla
Former Member
Message 13 of 186

http://www.liutilities.com/products/campaigns/affiliate/cb/offer/bleeping/rb/

here,u will find the tool that will fix this issue...go for the free scan option

do not panic!this is no malware

right here is some info:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/afd.sys-23440.html

Peacekeeper
Message 14 of 186

Check if you have an atheros driver network cardor wireless driver installed. These MUST be updated to the most recent version.

Also , please check the following ;

1. Right-click Computer.
  2. Click Manage.
  3. In the left panel, click Device Manager.
  4. Expand Network Adapters.
  5. Right-click the Atheros network adaptor. if there!!
  6. Click Properties.
  7. Click the Driver tab.
  8. Let us know what is the version for the WLAN Atheros driver versions .

Be careful Mcafee and registry cleaners can cause issues such as an idispatch error.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 7/08/11 6:10:49 PM
momshelper
Contributor
Message 15 of 186

So mom calls mcafee tech support to talk about the problem.  They end up telling her to try the restore defaults button.  This works but only for that session.  Everytime she restarts her computer she has to "restore defaults" within mcafee to get online.

What defaults are restored by this?  How do we fix this permanently?

No she does not have an Atheros modem.  She has a dell dimension 4550 from 2003 vintage.  build data below:

Base :          Pentium® 4 Processor at 2.66GHz w/533MHz front side bus/ 512K L2 Cache

Floppy Drive and Additional Storage Devices:          3.5 in Floppy Drive

Mouse :          Logitech® Optical USB Mouse

CD or DVD Burner for 2nd bay:          48x CD-RW Drive with Roxio's Easy CD Creator®

Sound Card :          SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 Digital Sound Card

Optional Support Services:          Express Tech Support,3 Years

Security Software :          Dell SecurityCenter by McAfee, 90-day introductory offer

Limited Warranty, Services and Support Options:          3 Year Limited Warranty plus 3 Year At-Home Service

Software Bundles :          Microsoft® Works Suite 2003 with Money 2003

Operating System:          Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition

Memory :          512MB DDR SDRAM at 333MHz

Monitors:          17in (16.0 viewable,.25dp)M782 Monitor

Keyboard :          Dell® Quietkey® Keyboard

Digital Music:          Dell Jukebox powered by MUSICMATCH

Speakers :          New Harman Kardon® HK-206 Speakers

Hard Drive:          60GB Ultra ATA/100 7200RPM Hard Drive

Network Interface :          Integrated Intel® Pro 100 M PCI Ethernet Network Card

CD or DVD Drive:          16 Max DVD-ROM Drive

Digital Photography :          Dell Picture Studio, Image Expert Standard

Modem:          56K PCI Telephony Modem

Video Cards :          64MB DDR NVIDIA GeForce4 MX™ Graphics Card with TV-Out

momshelper
Contributor
Message 16 of 186

Also, she is running with SP3.

Peacekeeper
Message 17 of 186

Ok not the driver that I thought could be something else that is loaded.

I will see what can be done. Be back later

momshelper
Contributor
Message 18 of 186

She is restoring defaults for mcafee's firewall if that helps.  Windows firewall is turned off.

Message was edited by: momshelper on 8/11/11 10:29:41 PM CDT
SHUBYDO61
Contributor
Message 19 of 186

I seem to be haveing almost the same problem but with me every time that i connect to the internet via netzero my computer reboots.

i have tried all of these fixes to no avail. the only reason that i am still using McAfee on one of my computers is because it was a present from a friend of mine. my other computers are running different AV programs ( 1 with trend and the other with Kaspersky) i am having NO problems with either of these programs or computers so IT IS McAfee causeing the problem.

it seems for the past 4 years i have had trouble with McAfee working with my Internet Provider.

Peacekeeper
Message 20 of 186

Did  you read this post?

https://community.mcafee.com/message/197870#197870

Netzero seems to be a common issue

See if that solves anything.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community