Former Member
Message 1 of 4

Auto updates not working w/ Win8

McAfee Internet Security

Security Center 12.1.253

Anti-Virus 16.1.144

Windows 8 64-bit

Using Windows Firewall

Configured for automatic download and install of updates, but they don't happen.  It will go for a week without updating.  A manual update check is successful (and prompts to close the UI during the process).

For example, I checked today and the last update was from Jan 27.  Did a manual update, and now have Feb 2.

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit does not exhibit the problem (i.e., auto updates work).

3 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 4

Re: Auto updates not working w/ Win8

Don't get confused with the old daily DAT update as this version has a different kind of engine and doesn't update in quite the same manner, so it's quite normal to see a date well past sometimes.

You could run the Virtual Technician to check if things are normal http://mvt.mcafee.com/

If it persists you could ask Technical Support to link up and diagnose.  It's OK they don't look at any personal stuff, in fact you can watch what they are doing.

It's free by phone or online chat and available via the link under Useful Links at the top of this page.

One thing they will ask, why are you using the one-way protection of Windows Firewall as against the two-way protection of a software one?

Windows Firewall, unless you do some pretty sophisticated fiddling around or use 3rd party utilities to give it a boost, only protects incoming traffic, if something was "dialing out" without your knowledge it wouldn't alert you.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 02/02/13 3:30:36 EST PM
Bobcat
Former Member
Message 3 of 4

Ex_Brit wrote:

One thing they will ask, why are you using the one-way protection of Windows Firewall as against the two-way protection of a software one?

Windows Firewall, unless you do some pretty sophisticated fiddling around or use 3rd party utilities to give it a boost, only protects incoming traffic, if something was "dialing out" without your knowledge it wouldn't alert you.

Short answer:  The less McAfee software I have running on my PC, the better.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 4

Fine, it's your decision of course.   I was just saying what support would no doubt ask.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community