cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peacekeeper
Message 251 of 358

Re: AnalyticsSDK process and possible memory leak

Jump to solution

Oh and can you post a pic of the usage please.

Also can those who have the new build and the memory issue is fixed without CPU issues please post back so McAfee can get a feel of the new issue.

bonzo47
Former Member
Message 252 of 358

Jump to solution

Thank you for your prompt reply. I tried your "Copy link" tip here - I trust it worked?!

How do I check the build number please?

Peacekeeper
Message 253 of 358

Jump to solution

Open explorer go to the file's location and right click on the files choose properties and details. Mine is fine as I run the 15.1 new version of the product which I installed prior to them stopping installation of this build.

Yes I got this message

You have been mentioned

by bonzo47 in Re: AnalyticsSDK process and possible memory leak in McAfee Communities - View bonzo47's reference to you

I will be offline now as night here in australia and time for family time and sleep.

bonzo47
Former Member
Message 254 of 358

Jump to solution

Sorry, didn't realise you are in Australia - sleep well!

This is what I see under "Details" for the file McClient Analytics:

File Description: AnalyticsSDK

File version: 2.1.167.0

Product version: 2.1.0.0

Size: 1.64MB

Date modified: 26 January 2017

I don't have a screenshot of Task Manager showing what was happening on Saturday. I just remember that the CPU activity was 91%.

teapot
Contributor
Message 255 of 358

Jump to solution

peacekeeper....

I have had the build on two machines for a couple of days.  But I have disabled it so am not a good judge of the memory issue anymore.  My problems seem to be every time some update comes along that re-enables it, something BAD happens.   I've posted my latest experiences of pegging the CPU.  Granted this could be because the old one was still running in memory or something and needed the reboot after the patch was pushed too me    Other lockups before this were because of an update coming when this old one was still around and apparently getting restarted on me.

Today I ran the edge browser and saw memory climb (in edge).   I don't normally use that browser so can't definitively point at anything--maybe I just had too many tabs open.  Ended up crashing my desktop.  But having said that, can't point at anything by mcafee potentially causing that but if others have seen that, it would be an interesting connection.   Rebooted and now seems ok again.

But here's my problem, when someone tells me they can't even tell me what this thing does, that other posts says we're still protected if we disable it, and I personally have seen the havoc it's caused by having it run, I don't know why I should even want to run it....  sorry, I don't trust it yet and I don't think I'm alone with that statement.

bonzo47
Former Member
Message 256 of 358

Jump to solution

- I'm with you on this. Would really appreciate some feedback from McAfee themselves that disabling this file does not affect the protection offered by McAfee Internet Security. If it doesn't affect security, then I suppose it also begs the question why do we need AnalyticsSDK in the first place? I certainly won't be "re-enabling" it anytime soon that's for sure!

B.

truffle
Contributor III
Message 257 of 358

Jump to solution

I bought my version from Dell.  I have not received 14.0 R12 never mind the "fix".   Has Mcafee stopped the 14.0 R12 upgrades?  Or am I going to get 14.0 R12 and then have to wait for the "fix", which some people claim causes problems? 

Peacekeeper
Message 258 of 358

Jump to solution

Partners run behind in patches or builds. Mcafee release fixes and updates but the partner then decided when they apply them.. re what it ; the file does I have no idea.  I notice noone posted that all is OK now.

skeown
Contributor
Message 259 of 358

Jump to solution

Actually , since I installed the patched files everything has been prefect on my Windows 10 machine.  No CPU hogs or Memory leaks to be seen.

As per ​'s post my MD5 hash matches yours so it seems the version they are pushing out is the exact same as the version I tested.  I wouldn't think it would be otherwise, but it doesn't hurt to confirm it.

I do note one difference.  The version I'm running is in the Legacy subfolder, but I can see from other posts they are not.  This could just be a difference in the manual deployment vs the pushed deployment, but it might be worthwhile checking to make sure it's running the right version.  You can do this by right clicking on the AnalyticsSDK process in TaskManager and selecting the "Go to File Location" option.  This will show you where the file is that's running that process.  Again this may or may not be useful.

It's hard to help here since I'm not experiencing the CPU issues, but I can offer some perspective.  Software is not a simple thing to debug (I've got many years experience doing it and some bugs are brutal to track down).  Often there are unforseen interactions despite the vast amount of testing a company might do.  It's important to remember that no software company wants their customers to suffer, that would be ridiculous, but when a problem appears only on a subset of machines it can be difficult to find the commonalities.  Trust that they would not leave customers hanging in the wind, but are working to resolve this based on the priority it deserves.  The fact that it is being discussed on conference calls is a good clue that this is receiving significant attention. 

One other point worth noting.... I'm not sure about the moderators here, but I know on other customer support forums I've dealt with the moderators are not employees, but volunteers and have limited access to company information.  They are essentially messengers or conduits to the actual support team.  Perhaps one of the moderators could clarify their roll.  Sometimes knowing that you are not dealing with an employee, but simply an elevated and trusted user can help curb the "Shooting the messenger" that unfortunately sometimes happens in forums such as these.

If there is any information I can provide or settings I can check on my non-problematic machine to either try to confirm or shoot down theories (since I can be the counter example) let me know. 

Good luck!

Shawn

truffle
Contributor III
Message 260 of 358

Jump to solution

I would think if Mcafee knows that 14.0 r12 has a major "bug", it would halt distribution.  That is, contact all their "partners" and tell them not do anything with this update until they hear from Mcafee engineering.  Is there anyway you can "check with the "powers to be" to confirm or deny this?

Also based on what I have seen in this forum and forums outside Mcafee's, the problem seems to overwhelmingly effecting WIN10 machines.  I can only find one instance in this forum and none in forums in the outside world that has a WIN7 machine effected.  Maybe there is some variable (needed for this problem to occur) in WIN10 machines that is much less likely to be in Win8.1 or WIN7 machines

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community