Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lotty
Contributor
Message 1 of 358

AnalyticsSDK process and possible memory leak

Jump to solution

AnalyticsSDK process and possible memory leak. In past month, I have noticed this process pop to top of my process list in task manager sorted by memory. I have always watched the task manger process list  … the near constant presence of this process seems new .. I have used mcafee for years … in past several weeks most mornings when I logon to my PC, that I leave running for days between reboots, I have low memory warns and this AnalyticsSDK process is top of the process stack by memory use  … the low memory warnings each morning are attributed to various other applications .. but again those applications are not high on the memory use and overall there is plenty of available memory with usage only 60% or so.. clearly something is not working normally …

Next if I powercycle the PC, the task manger process list cleans things up reverts to what I normally remember seeing .. the McAfee Scanner service moves to top of memory use list at 190MB … .. the AnalyticsSDK moves way down list at 45MB .. low enough where it would not have hit the radar for long term recollection .. the important observation is after reboot things appear to be normal and the AnalyticsSKD is not hanging at top of memory use

I have run the MVT and it says everything normal ..

my gut tells me over several days of PC uptime this process begins to impair applications use and release of shared memory ..

Any thoughts or advise .. likely something McAfee developers will have to address … echos back to another memory leak McAfee finally addressed about a year back when connecting to NAS drives and that took over a year to get resolved with much finger pointing back to microsoft

Windows 10 x64 .. 16GB ram

Total Protection v14.0 R12

Security Center v 15.3.3061

AntiVirus and AntiSpyware v19.0.3060

Personal Firewall v 16.0.3026

Vulnerability Scanner v 5.0.3053

(Too all new Posters)

Note:  Follow these instructions explained as a work-around, until the (Fix) has been completed.

Make sure you are logged in as an Administrator

Open the McAfee interface by double-clicking the desktop taskbar icon (by the clock), or the desktop shortcut or listing in Programs, and click Navigation (upper right side)

Click General Settings and Alerts

Click Access Protection to expand

Turn Access Protection off and click Apply (keep this UI open and minimized to your taskbar for the time being)

Press the Windows key + R

In the Run box type services.msc and hit Enter.

In the resultant Services table locate ClientAnalyticsService

Stop this (may take a few moments to stop)

Double-click the item to open Properties and alter the Startup type to Disabled

Click Apply and OK

Bring up the McAfee interface again and change Access Protection to On, click Apply and then close everything.

Reboot. (i.e  do a complete power down and up).

The update when it arrives is quite small but will change those settings back again but this time things wont seize up.

It's a throttled update, meaning it's slowly being released

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
user36
Former Member
Message 176 of 358

Re: AnalyticsSDK process and possible memory leak

Jump to solution

I followed this procedure last night, it worked. Thanks

View solution in original post

357 Replies
peterg99
Contributor II
Message 2 of 358

Jump to solution

I have the same problem on both my Win 10 PCs using LiveSafe. It slowed down my browsing to the point where I resolved to disable the AnalyticsSDK process until Intel offers a fix. Interestingly, this did not cause any warnings from LiveSafe or the online troubleshooting wizard.

Intel, anybody at wheel?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 358

Jump to solution

A search tells me this is a Google process.   Have either of you a Google Play app installed perhaps?    Just a thought.

teapot
Contributor
Message 4 of 358

Jump to solution

Same problem.  AnalyticsSDK was chewing up a LOT of memory (top consumer in task manager).   And when it happened, browser wouldn't connect to internet--first thought it was the modem and rebooted it but that didn't get me in (but tried another PC and it could get on so knew it was something about this one machine).   Next assumed it was a firewall issue and disabled firewall and got on.  Rebooted my machine and seemed fine..   Am pretty sure on the 2nd time it happened to chrome, I tried the Edge browser and it got in while chrome was hanging on trying to connect to a new page.   Noticed at that time AnalyticsSDK but didn't investigate further.

Just now when chrome hung for a 3rd time, went to task manager, and saw AnalyticsSDK using a LOT of memory (top of the list).  Could not even bring up McAfee configuration screen to see if I could disable firewall.   I killed it and IMMMEDIATELY got internet connection back.

Am using McAfee total protection.   Maybe other things are things are enabled by default but really only "use" the firewall & virus stuff.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 358

Jump to solution

Best nip this in the bud by contacting Technical Support directly by phone or online chat

Contact Support

willren
Contributor
Message 6 of 358

Jump to solution

Just spent an hour online with support team. They have pulled logs and are going to look for root cause.

In the meantime, I tried to turn off the Analytics EXE/DLL in the registry without success. There is an "enableclientanalytics" setting under a key called "mcclientanalytics", but am not sure to what to set it to to get it turned off. Then just resorted to moving the entire "ClientAnalytics" directory from its home in the Mcafee director to another temp location, again killed the process and its gone now. Need to also change the setting in the Antivirus Plus app to turn off access protection first, under general settings and alerts, or you will not be able to move the directories.

Not an elegant solution but it stops the AnalyticsSDK process from restarting until a fix comes down.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 358

Jump to solution

Good luck 😉

peterg99
Contributor II
Message 8 of 358

Jump to solution

Here is my solution - not to the root cause but to the memory leak - that does not require hacking the registry or moving files:

1. Reboot (see step 5).

2. Open your Services (local) either from Admin Tools or from Windows Settings - Search "services" - View Local Services.

3. Find ClientAnalyticsService.

4. To verify that you are dealing with the McAfee analytics service, right-click Properties and check that the path to executable reads:

>"C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\ClientAnalytics\Legacy\McClientAnalytics.exe"

5. To turn off the service, change Startup type from Manual to Disabled. This only seems to work after a fresh reboot; otherwise, it will just hang on "stopping..."

6. With the service now disabled, reboot again.

As far as I can see, this does not hinder the McAfee protection in any way and browsing is back to normal.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 358

Jump to solution

Thanks for posting this. 

I trust it will help someone.

Interestingly I can't find that service on my Win 10 machines but they are using McAfee Consumer Beta software, so maybe that's the reason.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 358

Jump to solution

​,

FYI  I have brought this up as a 'Topic Of Discussion for todays Conference Call.  I will apprise you of what the Senior Level Engineers have to say.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community