cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
haggis
Former Member
Message 1 of 3

port blocking by mcafee?

I have for several years updated my Indic8tor safety camera locator by logging on to their website and downloading updates through a secure connection.

The indic8tor unit normally connects to the computer through a serial interface, though recently I have used a serial to USB adaptor cable with the newer web site software as a test, to download an update, with no problem.

The old computer a desktop is running XP Home with AVG Internet security suite.

My new laptop, a Gateway, runs Vista Home Premium software with McAfee Internet security (and firewall).

Try as I may I have been unable to download Indic8tor updates on the new computer as the connection to the com port seems to be blocked.

Device Manager says the connection is working and com port 6 is open to the programme, but attempting to log on just causes the computer to cycle through ports 1-20 and claim port failure at each attempt

I visited the Indic8tor office, but their attempts were no more successful than mine, though they did say that they believed the McAfee firewall was somehow blocking the connection.

McAfee, when consulted, gave instructions about how to turn off all the parts of their security that (they say), that could have been blocking the connection, via a command prompt.

When this failed to solve the problem McAfee referred me back to Indic8tor!

Stalemate!!

I will if necessary have the whole of the McAfee suite removed from the computer (it's only a three month trial installed by Gateway, and not my choice) but I would like to be sure that this was the way to solve the problem.

Compatibility mode doesn't help either. and I have run out of ideas. I cannot believe that no other other users of the Indic8tor detector use McAfee security software so there must be a solution.
2 Replies
haggis
Former Member
Message 2 of 3

Problem Solved

Conflict between vista and Indic8tor software on this Gateway and I believe other similar machines (Dell & Gateway) solved by installation of a modified driver. Problem solved!
Many thanks to Indic8tor who spent a considerable time and effort into resolving the problem

Haggis
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 3

RE: Problem Solved

Cool this will help others if they come across a similiar issue .... happy thanks for posting back .
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community