cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JoeyMcM93
Former Member
Message 1 of 2

iTunes Remote & McAfee Firewall

I recently updated my McAfee software and now my Remote application on my iPod Touch for my iTunes will not function.

I have enabled ports TCP 3689 and UDP 5353 like the Apple support page instructs. I have also enabled full access to iTunes and Bonjour (because another forum said it helped) as well as opened port TCP 3389 because another forum said it fixed the issue.

Now, when the McAfee firewall is disabled, the Remote works fine. But, when i reengage the firewall while the app is running, I can still use the app. Also, it takes the firewall about five minutes to block the remote again after i re-enable the firewall. Right after I turn the firewall back on, I can still use the remote. But then when i restart Remote a few minutes later it will not be able to connect to my library.

I also followed all the instructions in this thread currently here: http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=230861 and it still won't work.

I have spent a total of two hours trying to fix this and have looked everywhere from the Apple support site to private forums for answers. This does not seem to be an isolated issue as many people are experiencing this problem.

Thank you for any help.
1 Reply
lonst100
Former Member
Message 2 of 2

Solved - issues with Itunes; Bonjour; Airport

I had the same problems yesterday after updating my Internet Security Suite including Firewall 10.15.

In addition I could not accesss my Apple Airport Extreme or Express and my Bonjour printer would not work. Also my Itunes could not see my remote speakers over the Airport network.

After many hours of trying various things I found the solution was to open Port UDP 5353 and grant access to trusted, standard AND PUBLIC computers. If you don't grant access to public it doesn't work - that cost me hours of messing about.

I also gave full access to the various Apple programs (as opposed to outgoing only) although I am not sure this is necessary.

Now my only concern is do I have a vunerability with this port fully open?
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community