cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adamski23
Former Member
Message 1 of 10

Xbox live and Psn issue

I have recently changed from norton to Mcafee total protection 2009, but when I tried to connect to xbox live or playstation network after installing mcafee they both cant connect to my router (bt voyager 200)
I have windows xp and ive changed the xbox/ps3 on the manage network tab to 'friend'
I have the firewall security level on 'automatic' and 'allow full access'

Does anybody know what i need to do in order for it to connect?
9 Replies
earthdragunz
Former Member
Message 2 of 10

RE: Xbox live and Psn issue

hi,

when you disable the McAfee firewall, can you connect to the router?

please post the computer specs (OS, RAM, processor, IE version). Also, what is the brand of your router?

please keep us updated
Adamski23
Former Member
Message 3 of 10

Hi earthdragunz,

I have turned off the Mcafee firewall but still cant connect to my router.

Ive got a 3 year old dell desktop running on windows xp, im not sure about the ram.
It a pentium 4. im not sure what IE means?

My router is a BT Voyager 200 (Wired)

The xbox live test says network failed.

Does this mean its not the firewall thats blocking the connection?
earthdragunz
Former Member
Message 4 of 10

it might not be the McAfee firewall...

I suggest remove the McAfee components, check your connections if you're able to connect. if so, try to install the software one-by-one (use the Custom option) and check what component blocks your connection.

i also suggest seeking the advice of the router OEM and Microsoft regarding the issue.

hope it helps
Adamski23
Former Member
Message 5 of 10

Ive just uninstalled all of Mcafee but i still cant connect to live or psn :confused:
They both worked fine before i installed Mcafee though, what shall i check now?
earthdragunz
Former Member
Message 6 of 10

It could be with the connection now. Make sure all physical connections are stable. Try to do a power cycle with your connections.
Adamski23
Former Member
Message 7 of 10

Everything is connected properly, im not sure what a power cycle is? I haven't changed any settings on my pc since i installed Mcafee or unlpugged/changed anything physically.

I havent install Mcafee back yet, i thought it was best to see if i can get a connection 1st before re-installing it bit by bit on custom.

Im not clued up at all when it comes to firewalls/networks/routers etc so i be patient with me happy
earthdragunz
Former Member
Message 8 of 10

Power cycle means turning your computer off, then your modem off, then turn your modem on, then the computer on (or other way around, I think). This will "jumpstart" the connection and it works.

aside from that, there aren't other steps that i can think of.
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 10

See if this helps
Adamski23
Former Member
Message 10 of 10

hi earthdragunz & vinod_r2

I used the norton removel tool on the link you gave me, then i restarted my pc and router.
I tested to see if the xbox connected to live and it did happy i then re-installed Mcafee bit by bit on custom testing the live was still on after each 1 and it all installed back ok without disconnecting live 😄

Thankyou both for your help 🙂

Cheers Adam.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community