cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cdiangelo
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

Windows 7 Homegroup

I just set up a company with our accounting system which requires file sharing.  All Windows 7 Home PC's setup as a Peer to Peer Home network.

The main PC with the software installed has the Homegroup setup.  Network Sharing is setup properly.  Currently this PC has to have the Firewall off for other PC's to see the Shared Folders on it.  On both the Homegroup hosted PC and the other PC I opened up the ports as per this article https://community.mcafee.com/thread/36693.  The other PC attaching to the Homegroup has no problem having the Firewall on and working with these ports open.

What needs to be done to the computer hosting the HomeGroup so the firewall can be on?

Thank you

Chris

ACC Accounting Solutions

3 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 4

Re: Windows 7 Homegroup

You shouldn't need to drop firewall protection to file share between computers, however I am not an expert so am hoping someone with more knowledge will spot this and contribute.

It's usually merely a question of permissions.

There's a great tutorial here about it:  Seven Forums

Also I would imagine all you have to do is go into Windows Network and Sharing center and make sure file sharing is on there too.

bobofet
Former Member
Message 3 of 4

I don't believe this is a McAfee Home Networking issue, perhaps this thread could be moved to the Firewall section. The Firewall team maybe able to answer this question better than we can.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 4

Moved accordingly.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community