Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thegrump
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

Windows 10 and McAfee firewall

Jump to solution

Has anyone who downloaded Windows 10 had this occur?  I am using McAfee Total Protection and checked my settings to make sure everything was working fine after the download.  The dashboard says the firewall is on and the computer is secure, but when I click on firewall, I see this:  [__MPFs:*_FIREWALL not a resource]: off

[__MPFs:*_FIREWALL_DESCRIPTION_OFF not a resource]

When I checked Windows Security Center, it says Windows firewall and McAfee firewall are both turned on.  Should I turn off Windows firewall and if I do, will that start McAfee firewall?  Sorry I couldn't get a screen shot of it, don't know how.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
user_118535
Former Member
Message 7 of 8

Re: Windows 10 and McAfee firewall

Jump to solution

Please run update. Once done reboot the machine.

Check if the issue still exists.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 8

Jump to solution

This is important to pass onto support. I do not have win 10 yet so cannot comment but maybe another mod will when he wakes.

Services and Support for Home and Office

1 question how did you install Win 10 with Mcafee removed  or disabled or running normal?

thegrump
Former Member
Message 3 of 8

Jump to solution

I installed it with McAfee running normally.

Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 8

Jump to solution

Ok recommendation is with Real time scanning off and 1 mod found best uninstalling it. Though others say they left it on. Best to run MVT and see if it fixes anything before calling support

McAfee Virtual Technician

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 8

Jump to solution

Moved to Personal Firewall

---

Peter

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 8

Jump to solution

I can only assume that somehow corruption has occurred, but as SecurityCenter relies on Internet Explorer for display purposes, make sure it works in Windows 10 and is up to date.

It doesn't have to be the default browser.

I think it may be best to uninstall completely via Control Panel (if Virtual Technician doesn't fix it)

Reboot if asked.

Run MCPR cleanup tool

Reboot.

Reinstall from your online account.

I uninstalled mine for the upgrade but others have reported leaving McAfee intact and running and no problems so I think what you saw was a one-off situation.

user_118535
Former Member
Message 7 of 8

Jump to solution

Please run update. Once done reboot the machine.

Check if the issue still exists.

thegrump
Former Member
Message 8 of 8

Jump to solution

Yes, thank you so much. I just got home from work and did this and everything is fine now.  Thanks, everyone for your help.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community