cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hgpilot
Former Member
Message 1 of 3

Traffic Monitor - why so much outbound?

I'm running McAfee Security Center 9.3 (VirusScan 13.3, Personal Firewall 10.3) and was poking around the Tools for the first time. Am a little bothered by what I see under "Traffic Monitor", as I seem to have significant Outbound Traffic. I'm an seasoned "IT Guy" by day (15 years) so I'm always careful about dodgy programs, links, etc. Running Vista Ultimate. Nothing unusual comes up under Malewarebytes, Webroot, or McAfee products. System runs fine. Am the absolute only user of this computer (no wife or kids allowed). Never had filesharing (Kaaza) or anything of that sort.

Maybe I really don't have a problem and this is my home network? I have a Windows Home Server from HP (HPEX475) that pulls backups at night, but that throughput is local to the network and not outbound Internet traffic. Mabye it's mistaken network traffic for that?

McAfee Virtual Technician found nothing. Any ideas on trying to figure this out?
2 Replies
hgpilot
Former Member
Message 2 of 3

Figured it out

After spending several hours looking at traffic monitors, looking at every process / running service, and even unplugging my cable modem, I figured out this was after all related to my Windows Home Server. Every time she pulls a backup, McAfee for some reason confuses this internal network traffic as internet traffic. So all this throughput, in the end, was internal to my network.

Hope this helps someone.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 3

RE: Figured it out

hgpilot, I did see your post but was just making up my mind how to answer it when you did.

That's what I was going to suggest.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community