cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user_30293
Former Member
Message 1 of 2

Suspicious incoming network connection blocked

My PC is on 24/7, and over the past weeks I've noticed that when I view my Security History in McAfee Antivirus Plus, in any 24 hour period I'm seeing 100's of suspicious incoming network connections being blocked.  I guess that's a good thing, but why so many?  Most of these sources have IPV4 IP addresses, but now more and more have IPV6 IP addresses.  Is there anything that I can do settings-wise (in IE11, in McAfee, and/or on my router) to reduce the number of these?  Most seem to be trying to access TCP ports in the range of 50,000 to 60,000+ without my permission.  If I don't leave IE11 open when I'm away from the PC, the number of these suspicious incoming network connections does seem to go down a bit.

I appreciate any thoughts on this.

1 Reply
k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 2

Re: Suspicious incoming network connection blocked

I often wonder myself why sometimes there is so many attempts and at other times not so many but the software is definitely doing its job by keeping track of the numbers and listing the numbers on the reports that you can review.

I leave my pc on 24/7 also and my philosophy is if it is not broke then do not fix it. If your pc was behaving in a manner that would indicate any virus or malware issues then it definitely would be a concern. There are no settings I am aware of that you could change to reduce the number of these attempts that you asked about.

It is quite possible the extra attempts may be a result of visiting certain websites that display a lot of advertisements and once you visit a site the pc remembers the visit and triggers this behavior.

I am glad McAfee is designed to work the way it does.

Tom K3TG

McAfee Volunteer Moderator

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community