cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
philosophicsity
Former Member
Message 1 of 3

Suggested Fix for Windows Firewall issues

This is not an issue with McAfee, It is a common issue with Windows. (I'm about 80% sure of this)

I have faced this problem  countless of times in my life with different PCs that did not use McAfee.

First and foremost, we'll clean  your computer from any malware using Malwarebytes, The website is safe and so is the program. It is the best software in anti-spyware. CNET's review can be found by clicking here .

After installing the program, we will run it and perform a full scan of all drives.

http://i.imgur.com/bAZq6Md.png

Restart the PC after the scan is completed and issues were solved (if there were any).

Now the hard part begins and I ask you to double check when told to.

A TL;DR version will be found at the bottom of the post for people who are experienced with Computers and Regedit.

Use the search bar in the lower corner of the program menu and type in "Regedit"  // if you do not have access to the search, you may press Windows key +R, and type in "Regedit"

This should be what you see right now.

http://i.imgur.com/IOHXAes.png

Press the enter key, or click the program.

We will search for this location (please make sure it is the right one)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\BFE

it can be found under the third option.

http://i.imgur.com/QPcvUAe.png

Now right click the folder named "BFE" and click on permissions and then Add.

http://i.imgur.com/MutgOlb.png

Under the "Enter the object names", Type in" Everyone" and click OK.  (as you can see, Everyone is already present under my Group or Usernames)

Now click on Everyone and on the bottom section (Permission for Users), you will check full control and click ok. This is what it should look like after these first steps.

http://i.imgur.com/W4v2mKf.png

You will then go in services.msc

Open RUN window

Type services.msc and click on OK

Search for the below services and check it is present

Base Filtering Engine.

Windows Firewall Service

Now start Base Filtering Engine and Windows Firewall Services by right clicking it and pressing start. (I'm unsure wether it is started or not, if someone could just let me know)

Now you may try to start Windows Firewall.

If Windows Firewall refuces to start.

Here's what we're going to do:

Find this folder in regedit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\SharedAccess

Right click on the folder and click on permissions.

Add "Everyone" and give it full access  - Just like we did previously.

You should be able to start Windows Firewall now.

If you can not start Windows Firewall, restart your PC and try again. If he issue still occurs, please contact me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TL;DR

1- Start regedit

2- go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\BFE

3- Right click, go into permission and add "Everyone", give it full control.

4- Go to services.msc, start Windows Firewall Serivces and Base Filtering Engine.

**IF Windows firewall still doesn't start**

5- go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\SharedAccess

6- right click it, go into permission thne add "Everyone" and give it full control.

Start Windows Firewall, if it doesn't work restart PC and try again.

If it STILL doesn't work, please contact me.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you mods ♥

Message was edited by: philosophicsity on 6/24/13 10:30:08 AM CDT
2 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 3

Re: Suggested Fix for Windows Firewall issues

Thanks for posting this, I also have a link to MBAM in the last link in my signature below if anyone needs it.   I've added a cross-link to this thread in my Announcement about this problem that is fixed at the top of the main Personal Firewall section.

Unfortunately this board no longer allows "sticky" posts - i.e. keeping posts at the top.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 24/06/13 11:53:39 EDT AM
philosophicsity
Former Member
Message 3 of 3

Re: Suggested Fix for Windows Firewall issues

Much appreciated.

Hopefully people will be able to benefit from it or else it would've all been for nothing

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community