cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
snowbird_fl_il
Contributor
Message 11 of 19

Re: Steps to fix Firewall OFF issue

2 questions for hud_engineer .. I am on XP also.

1.  Did you try to correct the latest problem with Virtual Tech? The reason I ask is that Lixiao in his OP said:

"We are currently investigating it and will put mirgration methods into next release as well as McAfee Virtual Technician. Well, I have done VT many times and serveral re-installs with no relief.   I may try steps 1-7, however, I do have Windows Firewall running ... confirmed on Security Center ... so I would hate to screw this up and have no firewall.  I been to Support and Teir 2 , I would assume they would have tried the fix ... but, you know what assume spells:)

2.  Please look at the McAfee Personal Firewall Service (After reinstall it is McMPFSvc on my system) ... Properties .... General Tab , and tell me what is the executable file path and name you find in the “Path to executables” box?  My “Path to executables” box is blank. It just may be this file can be found somewhere else and only need to be moved.  

Thank you for the assistance ....

Regards,

hud_engineer
Contributor
Message 12 of 19

1.  No, I didn't try VT.  The quick regedit seemed to work, and I've had too much grief (including needing a restore to "Clean, out of the box" once), and too little spare time for all that at the moment.  I would need to check to remind myself of the configuration, but I don't think I have Windows Firewall running on that machine.

2.  Unfortunately, I'm away from that machine for the next week.  Perhaps someone else who has the same success as myself could explore that aspect for you.

Thanks,

Andy

Peacekeeper
Message 13 of 19

MVT has a fix in it that will do as Lixiao saoid it would. I seems to have worked as post volume for firewall issues has dropped to 2 or 3 and those only recently. was none for a while,

Re that file what version of Mcafee are you running? My path says

C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\Platform\McSvcHost\McSvHost 

Note I am running beta 12.9 but should be same path.

snowbird_fl_il
Contributor
Message 14 of 19

Peacekeeper ... Thank for the info.

I running McAfee Internet Security ...

McAfee SecurityCenter V1.8

McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware v16.8

McAfee Personal Firewall v13.8 (not running:(

and a few more that go with it.

I found the Folder and File you referenced.  Unfortunately, the imagepath subkey is not in the registry.   I was hoping it would be there and I would only have to modify it.   I tried copying one from a different McAfee register and then paste and modify ...but no paste.   Unless I am missing something simple ... creating the imagepath subkey is beyond my paygrade (I am retired:).  Any suggestions? 

I will spare you the litany of 4 days worth of Support calls (even Tier 2), many complete scans (using programs suggested here), chkdsk /f's, numerous re-installs, etc. I am about ready to make one more run at Support and if not fixed ... uninstall McAfee and install either MSFT Security Essentials or Norton (from my cable company) that are free to see if one of them will work.  This old XP laptop is on it last legs and will be replaced in the near future.

Thank you again for the assistance.

Regards

rayne
Contributor
Message 15 of 19

I have tried ALL of these and it still does not work.  The last of it is saying file not found when I tried to start the firewall service.  Our expiration for service is coming up - if this can't be fixed soon - we will be getting a different software.  It seems to be such a problem with people that you would think that MCAFEE would come up with a fix that could be uploaded.

Peacekeeper
Message 16 of 19

Actually calls have reduced getting minimal posts re this recently. Try calling support and if they have issues fixing it ask for an escalation call back.

snowbird_fl_il
Contributor
Message 17 of 19

I think there are just some problems they can not fix on old machines running XP.  I must of had 3or 4 sessions with level 2 and at least that many uninstalls and installs.   After awhile they would blow me off by doing a CHKDSK from prompt and then tell me that I have a file problem.   Any fool knows that you will get a file error ... Microsoft acknowledges false positives due to multiple programs running.

My Windows firwall is running and I have a firewall in my Wifi router ... PC Flank indicates that all my port are stealth ... so all I do is run frequent full scans at night using McAfee and the other suggested software.    Solved the problem by getting  a new laptop on Black Friday.

Peacekeeper
Message 18 of 19

So the new laptop is running the mcafee firewall now? Hope you enjoy your new toy.

ebeache
Former Member
Message 19 of 19

I've been experiencing this problem for a few days. The first 7 steps worked for me. Thank you.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community