Re: RE: Firewall Inbound pinging tracer don't work:

Jump to solution

You're welcome.

CrazyChuck
Former Member
Message 32 of 47

Jump to solution

Peter, before I purchase the new 2010 McAfee security center I need to take care of some already quarantined AWQ.b Trojan problems. I know that in fact it is what McAfee security center says it is and, is on the reported list on McAfee's website. All I want to do is get the quarantined Trojan out of my computer so that I can move forward with the new 2010 McAfee security center purchase and, installation.

Questions:

1. It's my understanding that I must remove the 2009 security center through "Add or Remove" in control panel, before installing 2010. Is this true?

2. Will the AWQ.b Trojan be completely removed as well in removing 2009 security center ?

Chuck

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 33 of 47

Jump to solution

Remove the items from the Quarantine folder first.

Double-click the taskbar icon to open SecurityCenter

Click Advanced Menu (bottom)

Click Restore (left)

Click Files (top left)

You can remove them in the right-hand pane.

The new product should remove the old products for you but as a precaution and to get a "clean slate" I would first enable  Windows Firewall as a precaution then remove the current product using Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs (XP), Programs/Uninstall a Program (Vista/Windows 7), then reboot and run the uninstall tool MCPR.exe, reboot and then install the new products.  The installer will turn Windows Firewall off at the appropriate time.

Note: In Vista and Windows 7 the installer will also turn off Windows Defender.   You can re-enable this if you wish.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 30/12/09 3:19:47 EST PM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 34 of 47

Jump to solution

Back to the original question or problem, whichever way you look at it...the answer I just got from our conference call is that if it's broken it isn't going to be fixed now as the 2010 products are already slowly rolling out to the servers.   Those with ISP-provided protection (Comcast, AOL etc) may have to wait a while, as usual.

They are, however, taking another look at it.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 04/01/10 6:28:05 EST PM
CrazyChuck
Former Member
Message 35 of 47

Jump to solution

Another ward those who are in the firewall discussion the ISP's computer Guru God's of plant earth are saying anything further is on a need to know bases and, we the consumer don't need to know ! Wow ! How thoughtful of the ISP's ! The question is, is it for the greater good of all ?   That of course is the other personal way of putting it. No insults intended by this comment just being factual.

Thank you very much Ex_Brit for the information. I think that's as close as were going to get to a complete answer which raised many concerns in these discussions.

Cordially,

Chuck

Message was edited by: CrazyChuck on 1/4/10 5:41:02 PM CST

Message was edited by: CrazyChuck on 1/4/10 6:01:58 PM CST
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 36 of 47

Jump to solution

I forgot to restate that Visual Tracing is disappearing in the 2010 products anyway.

CrazyChuck
Former Member
Message 37 of 47

Jump to solution

Moving forward in preparation for installation of 2010 Security Center: I understand that there will be no Visual Tracing in 2010 Security Center Peter. Am I disappointed about that ? I certainly am ! As the saying goes O well ! Life is full of disappointment.

Everything want well deleting the Trojan AWQ.b squatter and, three other Generic Droppers in McAfee Security Center 2009. Clicking file then delete badta boom gone. Because of the dates indicated the squatter AWQ.b had apparently downloaded hiding its self at the same time as one of the Generics programs that are installed with the BibleSoft book software that I had purchased that same day. The book and commentaries programs work fine with out the Generics program I'm assuming only generates a discussion group within the programs website in BibleSoft something I don't need at this time. I also shut down XP's restore point in the event this verminous AWQ.b Trojan installed its self there.

As you've pointed out Peter I want a clean installation which now becomes more important then ever before and, I have this question. Earlier in 2009 I installed McAfee Vault but things want bad with the software and I haven't room on the hard disk so I just deleted it. However I haven't used the MCPR.exe to finish the job yet. In deleting McAfee Security Center 2009 from "Control Panel, then Add or Remove" after this task can I run MCPR.exe just once to clean both the McAfee Vault and, 2009 Security Center ?

Cordially,

Chuck

Message was edited by: CrazyChuck on 1/5/10 4:34:55 PM CST
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 38 of 47

Jump to solution

Yes, The MCPR tool should remove any remnants of the software itself.

jlcavor
Former Member
Message 39 of 47

Jump to solution

I reported the same problem some time ago. Just for the heck of it I tried it today and it works fine. I wonder if the rest of you are now seeing the same result.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 40 of 47

Jump to solution

Is this in SecurityCenter 2010 (version 10) ?  I know I shouldn't be saying this as a Modewrator but I can't find that area...!!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community