cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fbg00
Former Member
Message 41 of 47

Re: Persistent 'program wants to accept incoming internet connection' pop-ups

wbleeds -- well said.  I agree 100%, but I would add that the "feature" is not simply one of repeated prompting.  It is a total failure because it does not even alow one a complete set of choices.  In the scenario described where outbound only is the desired and explictly chosen setting, this dialog box comes up and the choices are:

• allow once -- allows undesired traffic.  bad.
  • allow -- allows undesired traffic and changes setting to always allow inbound connections.  bad.
  • block -- block undesired traffic (good), but then changes setting to block all track, inbound and outbound!  bad.
santi
Former Member
Message 42 of 47

I agree that this issue is frustrating for us all but have given up with McAfee. After eventually connecting to Technical Support Chat their response was "to turn off alerts" or "set program to Full Access" and was told there was nothing else they can do.   Completely pointless! 

However, although looks like I have to live with the stupid pop-ups until my subscription expires,  a simple work around is to hit   Alt + F4  when they appear, which obviously closes the pop-up, and the Firewall Settings seemed to be retained.   Not an ideal solution as they shouldnt appear at all, however, it is considerably less frustrating than attempting to connect once to Technical Support.

Any suggestions for an alternative security package to switch to with a firewall that actually works properly would be appreciated.

Peacekeeper
Message 43 of 47

There is a new area going live soon 1 or 3 days

https://community.mcafee.com/community/home/ideas

Post your idea re this there it will be read by those who have influence I hope.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 19/04/11 5:53:26 AM
alfuller
Former Member
Message 44 of 47

I agree with the request for suggestions of alternate security packages that operate as expected.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

As regards the last post reqquesting us to post our "ideas" elsewhere so that "hopefully" they will be read by "those who have influence" - no thanks.  I don't need a hobby, just software that works.  I have already invested way too much time on this issue by calling support repeatedly, independent research on the web, and repeated posts here.

I cannot imagine there is anything left to say to describe the issue - what we need is a fix!  If those in positions of influence cannot understand the issue from reading these posts, then it just wont get fixed...

santi
Former Member
Message 45 of 47

I wasn't aware until I read these posts that McAfee is now changing my browser firewall settings to Full despite setting all programs as outgoing (globally), the recommended option within the Firewall, and also changing specific browsers to outgoing only which it just overrides when I fire them up. Appears no way to override this as deemed safe programs by McAfee.  I remember reading in their help system that it recommends browsers are set to outgoing only so I am pleased that McAfee listens to its own advice as well as ours!

OK had enough so made a decision.  Disabled McAfee Firewall and trying Comodo Firewall, some good reviews and it also looks like it can do all the things McAfee is failing to do and a whole lot more. Oh and its also free!  And when McAfee subscription expires I will be switching to Webroot Antivirus with their Spy Sweeper software the latter which I already use.

The only way McAfee will listen is if customers start leaving or they receive negative public reviews. Well I'm doing the former and possibly will work on the latter. As most users probably use the default settings, I suspect they are unaware of how insecure their firewall potentially is.

newjack
Former Member
Message 46 of 47

Hey santi,How does using Comodo firewall work out for you?I know that in the Mcafee firewall there are at least 10 Mcafee items that set themselves at full access.Which of these do you allow in order to keep the other portion of your antivirus working properly?I was just a bit curious,I also do not believe that most of these should be full access.If I remember correctly.When doing a reinstall the firewall in Mcafee sets everthing to full access.Even though the recommended option is outbound only. Thanks

santi
Former Member
Message 47 of 47

Newjack, it's early days but initially set most (global rule) to outgoing only.  There is an easily viewable log of blocked events and a current connections monitor so you can see what is accessing (or trying to access) what.  I am opening up as I see fit but so far no real issues. Major difference to McAfee is I have control over my firewall !  This system is probably more for the technically minded but not bad overall (so far).

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community